banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know when your guitar needs a setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you know when your guitar needs a setup?

I just refinished this Flying V and played with it a fair amount trying to get it at least playable. Has low action all the way, no buzzing. I'm not smart enough nor do I have enough time or proper tools to check it up and down the neck but.........it plays fine and stays in tune..........what am I missing here? Would taking it a shop do anything for me?

I'm guessing they could clean up the frets. What am I not thinking of here that would justify the cost of a setup from a pro?

Re: How do you know when your guitar needs a setup?

If it plays good, there's no dead notes and the intonation is good then its definitely good to go.

If it needs a setup you'd know it.. it can be subtle stuff like you'll be bending on the 15th fret and notice it dies in that one spot or whatever. But it will all be discovered within a short while of playing it. If it feels good and sounds good then don't waste your money.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

If it can't make it through several songs in row with active bending, finger picking, hammering without intonation issues is my measure.

I'm overly sensitive to pitch -it's damn curse if you know someone like this -I tune all the time quickly on stage between songs and even during restarts etc to get everything dialed %100.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Blake, asking a competent and experience luthier to cast an eye on a guitar is never a bad idea. If he's honest, and it needs nothing - he will reassure you. If it needs a tweak, he can handle it.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I also recommend teaching yourself to do your own set ups.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Blake, asking a competent and experience luthier to cast an eye on a guitar is never a bad idea. If he's honest, and it needs nothing - he will reassure you. If it needs a tweak, he can handle it.
            I agree, I put trust in professionals until otherwise informed.

TS -ask around for recommendations for a luthier . -a relationship with a luthier is a sort of lifetime choice -they have every reason to be honest and serve you properly -repeat business is the cornerstone -a luthier without this vision and ethics doesn't last.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Certainly if you have extra money and/or time, take it to someone with the experience and tools. But I always go by the poor musician rule...if it ain't broke, don't look for something that is, because that person will find it (real or not).
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

all good thoughts. At some point I want to learn to do this myself. I'll probably enjoy playing it for a bit so I can get to a point where I know what I think needs improving.

I also need to install this freeway switch and get the middle pickup connected too.

Comment

Working...
                X