EHX Crayon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EHX Crayon?

I'm curious about this pedal. I've been wanting an overdrive that doesn't cut as much low-end as a Tube Screamer, but that also blends the clean signal with the distorted signal like it.

What is this pedal a clone of? Is it BB Preamp? Timmy?

How does it sound? Is it mid-focused? Is it transparent?

Thanks.

Re: EHX Crayon?

I love all the EHX stuff. Have you considered the East River Drive or Soul Food?

EHX has tons of cool videos on YouTube.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shupe13 View Post
      I love all the EHX stuff. Have you considered the East River Drive or Soul Food?

EHX has tons of cool videos on YouTube.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk
      I have tried the ERD, and I like it, but I already own a couple actual Tube Screamers and a TC Electronic clone, LOL. The Soul Food... I'll look into it, but I think I'd prefer having the ability to control the low-end with a knob. Thanks!

Comment

The Crayon is a clone of the BB preamp, Soul Food is a clone of a Klon. Ive been eyeing an East River Drive hard here lately. From what Ive heard the crayon sounds really good.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

It's worth a try - EHX stuff is pretty easy to flip if you don't love it.
          Report back, I am curious as well. I forgot it existed!

Comment

So it's basically a clean boost with some tone control?

Comment

Nah, it's a "full range" overdrive. It doesn't chop off bass or treble unless you adjust it to do so.

Comment

Why not a Sparkle Drive from Voodoo Labs?
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                  Nah, it's a "full range" overdrive. It doesn't chop off bass or treble unless you adjust it to do so.
                  So it could do "Blues Driver" or "Treble Boost" or full on "Mid Boost"?

Comment

Crayon = great pedal, use a real Xotic BB Preamp in the studio, but the Crayon does an admirable job live...
                    ERD = sounds too much a like a generic 808...
                    Soul Food = affordable Klon klone, was replaced on my pedalboard by a RYRA (Rock Your Repaired Amp) Klone, which is an AWESOME pedal!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      So it could do "Blues Driver" or "Treble Boost" or full on "Mid Boost"?
                      I've never played a Blues Driver, but you can use it to cut or boost bass and/or treble, and by extension mids as well. Pretty versatile in that sense. Definitely work best as a clean or gritty boost rather than stand alone OD though. (Although some lower-gain players do use it or the BB Preamp as their "dirty" sound.)

Comment

Working...
                      X