MXR Timmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR Timmy

I just saw where mxr is going to be making a Timmy pedal in colab with Paul C. I wonder if he is going to stop making them. I knew I should have picked up another one just in case.

Re: MXR Timmy

I doubt he’ll stop, but they have been in severely limited supply lately. Probably like Bill F. and the Klon, even with modern production techniques, KTRs are kind of hard to find. He blessed the Archer I think? Those are everywhere.

Purely speculation based on the fact that the V3 was just released.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Apparently he plans to keep building the Timmys himself while MXR makes the mini version. A way to cash in a bit without cashing out. But who knows if he will keep soldering forever? Sooner or later burnout's gotta set in?
      I hope the MXR deal nets him some bucks.

Comment

So what's the deal with the Timmy? I've never used one.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

its my favorite overdrive. simple controls and melds well with the rest of the rig 90% of the time. im sure there are some guitar/amp combos that timmy doesnt jive with but it works wonderfully with my vintage output pups into fendery amps.

volume and gain are self explanatory. on v1 and v2 the bass and treble controls are reductive so as you turn them up you get less. with the gain and tone controls all off (8 o'clock) you get a beautiful transparent clean boost. the bass control is pre drive so you can clean up/tighten up the bottom end. the treble control is post drive so you control over how sharp your sound is. there are options for asymmetrical clipping and adding more gain and compression, inside via dip switches on v1 and external 3 way mini switch on v2. i almost always use it in the normal mode, still plenty of gain for my needs and less compression. it cleans up very well with the volume control as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            So what's the deal with the Timmy? I've never used one.
            It's very similar to a boss BD-2, but with a couple tweaks to the circuit and an extra control for bass cut.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

maybe the circuit is similar but i never like the bd2 and love timmy. the bd2 always sounds harsh and gritty to me unless you roll the tone way back but then it sounds almost tubby

Comment

Well, damn, it looks like I have a new OD to try now.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The bd2 and the timmy circuits are pretty different - and i agree with you about the stock bd2. i really like my modded version though. Pretty similar to a keeley bd2 with a few variations, helps a lot with the fizz on the top end. i should really get around to finishing putting together my timmy...

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    maybe the circuit is similar but i never like the bd2 and love timmy. the bd2 always sounds harsh and gritty to me unless you roll the tone way back but then it sounds almost tubby
                    Try the OD3, similar, uses discrete components instead of opamps, but much smoother than the BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmosher View Post
                      The bd2 and the timmy circuits are pretty different - and i agree with you about the stock bd2. i really like my modded version though. Pretty similar to a keeley bd2 with a few variations, helps a lot with the fizz on the top end. i should really get around to finishing putting together my timmy...
                      It’s more like a heavily modded Tube Screamer, isn’t it? Similar topology, but completely different filtering, right?
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Random question... is the Timmy pedal named for Timmy in Southpark with the rockin overdriven band?

Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-23-2020, 02:51 PM.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

the original pedal is Tim, as in some call me Tim. timmy is the smaller version with just the overdrive circuit

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            the original pedal is Tim, as in some call me Tim. timmy is the smaller version with just the overdrive circuit
                            Well hell, Tim the Enchanter or Timmy both rank very high in my book.

I like those pedals, but I can see while any garage builder of a successful pedal would collab at some point -it's hard to meet scale if your not wanting to expand your own operation.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              It’s more like a heavily modded Tube Screamer, isn’t it? Similar topology, but completely different filtering, right?
                              Yeah, that's a decent description. Heavily modded. There's some similarities in the basic layout, but some big differences throughout - the biggest one being that the Timmy is true bypass while the Tube Screamer is buffered. The circuits around the chips look similar but have some important differences too. I'm hesitant to relate it to the Tube Screamer because it's truly its own distinct pedal that Paul C did a great job with, but there's definitely some Tube Screamer influence in the circuit.

Comment

Working...
                              X