X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active EMG, mixing split with phase

Hi,

Looking for help!

What I have: 81 & 85 with quick connect, 2 volumes, 1 tone.
    Wanting to: change to 81T & 89 (or others - you can help here too with other EMG humbucker versions), for the greater benefit.

Problem
    Having heard of both the split AND phasing capabilities of those two, I was wondering how can I change to:
    2 volumes that each split their humbucker, 1 push-pull tone that activates the phasing.
    Is there a way to do this kind of wiring? By having the quick connectors, that is. With the PI-2 pot and the EMG push-pulls.
    Or any other way?
    And which connector goes where?

Worst case scenario, maybe only one pickup each - that is, 1 to have the split, 1 to have the phase?

Many thanks ahead!
    Last edited by Ktulu; 01-15-2020, 06:06 AM.

Re: Active EMG, mixing split with phase

EMG does have the Pi2 pot for phase reversing which you could use as a master tone then I guess you'd use two push-pulls for the two volumes to split each HB at will... Just a guess though...

Comment

phase reversal and splitting should be possible. I always looked at the coilsplit an EMG offers more the less as parallel. No idea why. I guess because of the dummy coil inside of it. Definitely get the switch Nexion218 recommended below is a link
      The EMG Pi2 is an active phase reversal circuit mounted on a mini-toggle switch, and is used in guitars with two or more EMG Pickups. Wired in series with one of the pickups, the Pi2 mimics "out of phase" sound by reversing the phase of your pickup. This active method of inverting the pickup's phase recreates that classic airy out of phase tone while maintaining the noise free operation of an EMG. It requires the same amount of space as a conventional phase switch, and thanks to EMG's solderless wiring, is easy to install on your own. All EMG Pickups are built to order. Estimated shipping is between 7-14 business days.

I remember being bored out of my mind and watching a factory tour on EMG and any pickup that was out of phase as they test everything they usually don't sell them. Say a set of 81/85 or whatever will always be in phase.

With your setup if you need the 81tw and 89 or similar soldered in I actually do have a diagram. I had someone bring a Schecter in and I had to actually do a bit of googling to figure it out before emailing EMG. The good news is the installation of the Pi2 (EMG phase switch) is the same as the afterburner, EXG to RPC. I wish EMG would give some hot shot youtube player all the current preamps and demo them. All we have is a few people with the EMG DG20 David Gilmour set to people just demoing one or two in their bedrooms without pro gear. Oh yeah 5+ year old iphone quality! I can really hear those highs.

To get the most out of this setup you'd need two push pulls. One for each pickup and to replace a tone control with that mini toggle as I wouldn't have the heart to take one of those apart as there is no other way to reverse the phase of EMG pickups. If you swap the bare and white wires you won't get any signal. Luckily the diameter of a mini toggle is that of an import pot so by the time you tighten the nut and washer you're set.
      Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-15-2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

So are you going to post that diagram or not?

Comment

I wasn't sure which switch your guitar had. Plus if it's a 3 pot setup. For now here's some helpful stuff. If you can't find an active diagram that helps it's a good start to look at the passive stuff. Just make sure the pots are 25k, your capacitor is 100nf (0.1uf) and you've got a stereo jack and 9v battery clip.

if you've got X or TWX (regular TW is fine) EMG do not 18v mod

and your basic EMG 81TW and 89 diagram is like this

The Pi2 works like this , afterburner, PA2, EXG, RPC and so forth all work the same way thankfully

if you buy the Pi2 switch you'll have to cut the ends off of the servo cables to expose the bare wires on the first cable. If so follow the color code. Notice how they invert from one to the other. Other than that you're set.

You'll notice on the EMG TW and similar preamps it's the pink/purple (in my diagrams) case for the wire that goes to your switches hot lead I'll put this into two scenarios. As unless you drill an extra hole in a guitar/pickguard you'll have to decide between 1 volume/1 tone and the Pi2 or 2 volume and the Pi2

using the push pull the only wire that matters is the pink/purple wire. That's your pickups hot lead. None of the other wires move or change.

Our two approaches
          2 volume no tone - follow a 2 volume no tone Blackout wiring for where the pink/purple wire goes. Besides that it's the same wiring. The support page of seymour duncan will help.

1 volume, 1 tone with blade switches. Alpha or Cortek to any 8 inline switches which are our typical import follow how guitarelectronics.com does it as some import switches only have a single pole which is a headache. If you've got a 4x4 blade switch such as oaks and grigsby to CRL you can use the method seymour duncan does.

Comment

Wow man, so much appreciated!
            If you think you could do one more try for me , as I had written right from the start:
            "What I have: 81 & 85 with quick connect, 2 volumes, 1 tone."
            "change to:
            2 volumes that each split their humbucker, 1 push-pull tone that activates the phasing"

Actually, it's a Jackson RR24XT that some guy changed to active pickups. So it's got 3 pots and a pickup switch.

Again, many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by shadowfire90 View Post
              To get the most out of this setup you'd need two push pulls. One for each pickup and to replace a tone control with that mini toggle as I wouldn't have the heart to take one of those apart as there is no other way to reverse the phase of EMG pickups.
              But can't I solve the problem by replacing the tone pot with the pi-pot, for phase?
              I also want to retain the tone function.

That's why I primarily asked about all the details, like which connector goes where.
              Cause everything about this diagram seems to be clouding up, as I think that some of those wires in one of the pickup's connector will need to be unwrapped, to be able to go to the pi-pot.

And yeah... I'm actually asking for a diagram like a beggar, since I'm not into electronics. Just following those schemes and soldering.

Comment

I forgot all about the Pi2 having a push pull you'd want this. To get the best results you'd want to stick with all solderless gear. For the solder free wiring harness your best bet is to contact EMG their support team will get back to you quicker than us on here usually. I don't know much about the solder free stuff myself.

This is the push pull version of the phase push pull they made. I didn't know this existed until this morning.
                The EMG Pi2 PPP is an active phase reversal circuit mounted on a push/pull pot, and is used in guitars with two or more EMG Pickups.

with this you can do the wiring exactly the way you want. With the mini toggle Pi2 I don't recommend it as I see this now.

good luck on your project

Comment

Working...
                X