banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distortion/preamp comparison! (Friedman, Revv, Bogner & Diezel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion/preamp comparison! (Friedman, Revv, Bogner & Diezel)

I've been getting into (high gain) distortion/preamp pedals lately so I've collected a cool bunch. I've got the Friedman BE-OD Deluxe, the Diezel VH4-2, the Revv G3 & G4 and the Bogner Überschall. I mainly got those pedals to expand the tonal capabilities of some of my amps. For instance, some of my Marshall heads don't do super high gain well. So with these pedals I can basically make those amps much more versatile.

Now that I have these pedals I thought it would also be super fun to hear them side by side, with the same amp so I made this comparison. I decided to run them through my MT15 since the clean channel has a pretty 'sterile' sound, and I don't mean that in a bad way. It's just very clean with a lot of headroom and a nice and even frequency response. This helps to get a clearer idea of how the pedals sound. Of course, to get a more 'juicy' sound some of these pedals might sound better (or I should say different) on a clean with a bit more breakup, or with a power amp that has more sag. For this particular test though, the MT15 did very well!

At first I didn't want to use any controls on the amp but I decided to use the presence control to dial in the sounds for each pedal. All the other controls are at noon. I did this because without it some of the pedals would have sounded straight up bad. So some of these pedals really need to be colored with some presence. I don't want to make gear sound bad and I figured this was a simple way to make them all sound good without too many variables. I chose the clean channel of the amp as opposed to the fx return of the amp because 1. more people would likely use the pedals that way and 2. some of the pedals don't sound good in the loop.

Small note: if your amp doesn't have a presence control but you feel you need it, check out the depthfinder pedal by amptweaker. It's pretty awesome!

Anyway, too much talk haha, here's the video:

Which ones did you like and why? And also, are there pedals that I left out that you think I really should try? I'm always open for suggestions on new undiscovered gear!
    Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Distortion/preamp comparison! (Friedman, Revv, Bogner & Diezel)

No audible number IDs for each piece of gear again. booooo.

Why do you hate fun? You spend a lot of time making good videos but a blind test is the only way !!!

Please oh please!
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I didn’t know there was a “presence” pedal - thanks!

Dig me the revv3 - haven’t heard a bad clip yet of that pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        I didn’t know there was a “presence” pedal - thanks!

Dig me the revv3 - haven’t heard a bad clip yet of that pedal.
        Yup and it's really handy! It's best to use it in the loop of your amp but it can also be used after your preamp pedals etc.
        The G3 is really cool, it definitely has a unique character. It sounds really heavy most of all
        Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
        OwnHammer.com

Comment

Working...
        X