banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever notice the Dimarzio Super Distortion sounds a little buzzy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever notice the Dimarzio Super Distortion sounds a little buzzy?

I've used both the Strat version and the full size version of this pickup, and in fact I do want to try it again in my Classic Vibe, but the pickup does appear to have a little bit of a buzzy sound to it. Not sure why that is.

Re: Ever notice the Dimarzio Super Distortion sounds a little buzzy?

If you mean the tone is buzzy, that's cuz it has a ceramic mag. If you mean noisy I dunno.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I've used Duncans with ceramics and the tone is not buzzy.

Comment

If what you mean is "grainy", then yeah I hear it. Sadly with the limitations of our vocabulary in this area, we will likely never know %100 what eachother is talking about.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
          I've used Duncans with ceramics and the tone is not buzzy.
          The poles also contribute, but to me they sound clicky. I'm pretty sure if you swap in an alnico or double thick alnico, the buzziness would go away.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

What does buzzy mean in this context? I find it thick, "quick" attack, full (maybe too fat with some guitars/amps), powerful and clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              Sadly with the limitations of our vocabulary in this area, we will likely never know %100 what eachother is talking about.
              Yeah, that's true.

Some call it buzzy, some say grainy, others say clicky, or fuzzy, or fizzy, and I sometimes refer to that bright ceramic tone as harsh or brittle. But I can't fault anyone who just can't live with that sound in their guitar and will go to any extent to get rid of it. I just can't tolerate that brittle buzzy high end tone of ceramic mags.

However, if you like torturous distorted metal mayhem "music"/noise where you can't distinguish one note from another, then a little extra departure from "tone" may be a good thing for you.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Grainy is another good word to describe what I'm referring to. Buzzy or grainy sounding. And I will add that the Heavy Blues 2 also has this grainy tone. That pickup is the sandpaper pickup. And it uses an Alnico II magnet.

Comment

I find it grainy. Raw distortion, not very smooth. It seems to like treble bleeds using poly type caps, reduces the grainy-ness.

Not a bad sound, less noticable in heavy basswood body guitar. Works for old school rock & metal with a jtm type gain levels. Too grainy with 5150 type gain levels.

Comment

Working...
                  X