banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's weird you don't see more of these...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's weird you don't see more of these...

Click image for larger version

Name:	68575-4802f6bb47be2233bcd3c4e13961fca2 (1).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5853315

Round grippy tuning keys.

They cost the same as any other tuning key shape to produce, but they offer much more comfort and precision than the industry standard flat, wide, smooth shape.

Even if you're not trying to appeal to the traditionalist, you think these things would be on every uber modern overengineered guitar on the market.

I just bought like 3 dozen of these things to put on my guitars as soon as I realized how great they feel. Seriously, if you try them you won't go back.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: It's weird you don't see more of these...

Those do look like interesting. How's the price?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

It's a little over $30 after shipping for a set of 6, which isn't bad for Hipshot.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

If they have the identical gear ratio, the regular machine heads can be dialed in more accurately than those new round ones you are posting. mechanical advantage makes this certainty, and thats why traditional machine heads use a paddle style tuner button.

Not saying they aren't great tuners though.

Do they have a different gearing system?
        Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-15-2020, 10:43 PM.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

They remind me of the LSR tuners that for example Mustaine used on some is KVs. Are they locking?

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
            They remind me of the LSR tuners that for example Mustaine used on some is KVs. Are they locking?
            Hipshot offers them in a locking and non locking variety.

@NegativeEase: no, same ratio as regular Hipshots.

I tried them but didn't care much for them. My string winder couldn't get a hold of that and that bugged me to no avail.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
              I tried them but didn't care much for them. My string winder couldn't get a hold of that and that bugged me to no avail.
              You don't much need a string winder with these. They're round, so you can easily twist the knob almost three full rotations before you have to reset your fingers. With locking tuners, you can easily tune each string to pitch without ever taking your fingers off the knob.

Also the pressure you exert is consistent the entire rotation, so you're less likely to overshoot the note you're tuning to.

Comment

They look interesting. Though good point with mechanical limitations NegativeEase.

I'm going to admit something here... I've never even learned to use string winder.

I've had two of them, got from somewhere, but I haven't figured out how they should be used?
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

LSR made them 15-20 years ago, and they had something like a 40:1 ratio. I know these are just the knobs that are replaced, but I think they started the barrel-knob thing years ago. I am all for redesigns of tuners- tuning machines are positively archaic compared to bridge and pickup design these days.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]102828[/ATTACH]
                    they offer much more comfort and precision than the industry standard flat, wide, smooth shape.
                    No.
                    Absolutely not!
                    In fact, not even close.
                    Mathematically and mechanically impossible if you are referring to the tuning HEADS. If you're talking about the gears inside the tuners, well that may be different.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 01-16-2020, 08:58 AM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

There is some info about the original LSR tuners on our own forum.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't think they would be more precise either.

Your ability to precisely control the position of the tuner is related to the distance of the farthest edge of the edge of the tuning peg from the center of rotation. Think about it. If you had a tuning peg with a 1 ft wide tuning peg on it, you could much more precisely set the tuning because it would be easier to make small adjustments. If the tuning peg was only 1/8th of an inch wide you would have trouble making fine adjustments.

In the pic, it looks like the tuning pegs are a little closer in that traditional ones . . . which would result in slightly less precision.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                          No.
                          Absolutely not!
                          In fact, not even close.
                          Mathematically and mechanically impossible if you are referring to the tuning HEADS. If you're talking about the gears inside the tuners, well that may be different.
                          The shape of the head can affect tuning precision. As I mentioned earlier, with a flat knob you are more likely to overshoot the desired note.

If you want to get into mathematic and mechanical speak, they back me up as well. Longer levers from the center of rotation require less torque to rotate a given distance, with non-circular heads this distance changes as you roll the knob through your fingers. Mathematically, when you start to turn the tuners, you have your fingers on the outside applying force perpendicular to the flat surface, giving as near as makes no difference to 100% of the force from your fingers. As you rotate the key you start to push more parallel to it, making it closer and closer to 0% efficiency. The fraction of force you put into rotation the tuning key is equivalent to sin(x), where x is the angle of force against the flat surface of the tuning key.

With the circular knob, both these figures remain constant, where on a flat knob they change depending on hand placement, leading to more required effort to tune to the same precision.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                            I don't think they would be more precise either.

Your ability to precisely control the position of the tuner is related to the distance of the farthest edge of the edge of the tuning peg from the center of rotation. Think about it. If you had a tuning peg with a 1 ft wide tuning peg on it, you could much more precisely set the tuning because it would be easier to make small adjustments. If the tuning peg was only 1/8th of an inch wide you would have trouble making fine adjustments.

In the pic, it looks like the tuning pegs are a little closer in that traditional ones . . . which would result in slightly less precision.
                            If you're tuners work smoothly, this shouldn't be a problem for either model.

Comment

I also like these tuners, I have them on all of my non-traditional guitars.
                              "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X