banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's weird you don't see more of these...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's weird you don't see more of these...

I think ultimately it will come down to looks, and they look weird on a guitar....guitarists like to stick to what they have and have had for many many years. Having said that, they might be great tuners....my Steinberger (headless) had very similar tuners, except they were below the bridge and pointing in a different direction....and they were great! I also had the headstock Steinberger tuners where you turned it behind the headstock....those I hated.
    *******Please check out some of my songs:
    https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

My Yamaha RGX520FZ came with Grover's with those heads. Very convenient, but I find it difficult to not overshoot the pitch when tuning up.

I think they'd be more convenient with a very high-ratio machine head, since you can 'twirl' the button so quickly anyway.

Larry

Comment

Just curious . . . but where did you find these? I don't see anything on Hipshot's website.

Comment

There's a lot of consternation here

There is no mechanical advantage to the small barrel knobs

If the gear ratio is the same then you could just as well have swapped the knobs on your existing tuners

They do have some cosmetic appeal

I doubt I'll ever use them
          But if the OP likes em and wants em
          Great
          Hope they serve you well

Here's just the knobs
          Your music store in the cloud, bringing you the best parts and accessories for your Guitar and Bass, whether you are a player, a builder or a repair shop.
          Last edited by ehdwuld; 01-24-2020, 09:19 AM.
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Just curious . . . but where did you find these? I don't see anything on Hipshot's website.
            If you go under their knob page you can pull them up as on option in a drop down bar. It's not really the best setup, as their are hardly any pictures of them, and as you said it's pretty tough to search them.

If I didn't mention it before, the design is called "Industrial (SK1)".
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]102828[/ATTACH]

Round grippy tuning keys.

They cost the same as any other tuning key shape to produce, but they offer much more comfort and precision than the industry standard flat, wide, smooth shape.

Even if you're not trying to appeal to the traditionalist, you think these things would be on every uber modern overengineered guitar on the market.

I just bought like 3 dozen of these things to put on my guitars as soon as I realized how great they feel. Seriously, if you try them you won't go back.
              I was not aware such a thing existed.

I see another benefit to these: the neck angle of some LP like guitars can be extreme enough that that fact combined with a traditional tuning key that happens to be pointing perpindicular to the back of the guitar when the string is in proper pitch, causes enough of an angle so that the guitar will not sit flush in a hard case unless you detune the offending tuning key(s) temporarily to "move it out of the way". Then you have to retune that string(s) next time you take the guitar out of its case for use. I have a couple Ibanez ART model guitars where this is a real thing. These non-protruding keys would resolve that issue.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                If you go under their knob page you can pull them up as on option in a drop down bar. It's not really the best setup, as their are hardly any pictures of them, and as you said it's pretty tough to search them.

If I didn't mention it before, the design is called "Industrial (SK1)".
                Thanks Chris. But that was WAY too much work. They must not want to sell them too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                  ... i tried them but didn't care much for them. My string winder couldn't get a hold of that and that bugged me to no avail.
                  Good info -thanks!
                  Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I have a Firebird with of this type of tuner style, but of course facing backward rather than out to the side. No more or less accurate or easy to use IME.

The thing with tuners are they are an aesthetic as well as functional......and the lack of meat in the rotary ones and more industrial look probably tells you why they're not fitted to classic styled guitars.

Comment

Is there such tuners for bass? I want to replace the G string tuner on my Jazz V for something very small (to looks like a 4 string).

Comment

Working...
                      X