Need a Jazz Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Jazz Bass

I have seen a few on the local Craig's, but they aren't string thru the body. All my Fender guitars are string thru. What am I missing here?
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Re: Need a Jazz Bass

You’re looking at basses, not guitars. Top-load is the norm. My Ibanez Mikro, Warwick Corvette, Squier P, and Yamaha P/J are all top-load.

One of the big advantages, especially if it has a tailpiece/bridge like a Warwick, is you can take strings on and off without screwing up the wraps and breaking them. It’s pretty common for bass players to swap strings around. Over on TalkBass, tons of people buy and sell gently used strings.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

String-through Jazz basses are usually found in the modern style (non-reissue) American made lines. I think this has been used on Fender Js for at least 20 years now. But lower end Js, and reissues, are usually traditional top loaders.

It doesn't matter in the slightest, other than that you sometimes run into unwound string length problems with certain string sets.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I currently have two top-loading Jazz basses and have never run into problems. Still love my P, but end up grabbing one of the Js more often.
        '69 Fender Mustang bass
        '69 Gibson EB-1
        '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
        '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
        '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
        '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          Over on TalkBass, tons of people buy and sell gently used strings.
          That's good to know. I'd like to try some variations, but the dang things are expensive.

Comment

Nothing wrong with top loading bridges. They still sound like a great Jazz bass.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              That's good to know. I'd like to try some variations, but the dang things are expensive.
              You should join. Most of the time the strings aren’t significantly cheaper, but people are always down to trade. I’ve also seen cool deals for someone who wants to try a bunch, like a grab bag of 5 or 6 used sets for $50.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Depending on the brand of strings, some will not make it all the way to the G tuning machine if you string through the body.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  You should join.
                  I joined years ago. But there's only so many minutes in a day.

Comment

Working...
                  X