Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Electric Guitar For Covers Band

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
    Just get a fender if you want a fender sound.
    Are you saying the Fender sound is the Fender amp not the Fender guitar?

Those are two different things

Fender amps are bright clean by comparison to Marshall or British amps

Fender guitar sounds are the jangly bright sngle coil sound
    Gibson is the thick darker humbucker

I still don't follow what you mean by

Play your Fender amp with either a Les Paul, or a Strat gives you a Fender sound because it's a Fender amp

The strat will sound much different than the Les Paul through that amp
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I think you don't understand me. Maybe it's my English writing... Lol. I'm from the Netherlands so it could be that haha

I mean that I you want a fender sound.. you have to play on a fender guitar.
      So a amp doesn't really matter.
      Last edited by dudiluty; 01-18-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        If you ask me, the real "Fender sound" is the Fender amps that so often got paired with Fender guitars back in the day, not the guitars themselves.
        NO. Not even close.

I've got many amps that can be adjusted to sound similar to a Fender amp, but very few guitars (other then Strat copies) can duplicate that Strat sound. A Les Paul played through a Fender amp will NEVER sound like a Strat. But a Strat played through just about any amp will still sound like a Strat. And with the right amp settings (and possibly stomps) a Strat can also sound similar to a LP.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          NO. Not even close.

I've got many amps that can be adjusted to sound similar to a Fender amp, but very few guitars (other then Strat copies) can duplicate that Strat sound. A Les Paul played through a Fender amp will NEVER sound like a Strat. But a Strat played through just about any amp will still sound like a Strat. And with the right amp settings (and possibly stomps) a Strat can also sound similar to a LP.
          That.

Comment

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
            I think you don't understand me. Maybe it's my English writing... Lol. I'm from the Netherlands so it could be that haha

I mean that I you want a fender sound.. you have to play on a fender guitar.
            So a amp doesn't really matter.
            Thank you
            That must have been what it was

Apparently I wasn't the only one confused

EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If you ask me, the real "Fender sound" is the Fender amps that so often got paired with Fender guitars back in the day, not the guitars themselves.
              Well. this is pretty true -I'd argue that huge part of the " Fender Amp sound" is the Fender Single coil pickup interaction and sparkle with the full range scoop of the classic Fender Amp.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                NO. Not even close.

You are misinterpreting my post. The classic "Fender sound" comes from using a Fender guitar and amp (preferably dialled to 6) in tandem. That is not to say you can't get a good tone from each on their own, but the iconic Strat/Tele tones come from using both.

The Gibson rock and roll tone has become more ambiguous. Just about any humbucker paired with a Marshall-y amp will fit somebody's definition of the Gibson sound. For me it's medium hot A5 humbuckers through a JCM800, for others it may be an A2 PAF pushing a Bluesbreaker to the edge of breakup.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

One thing is that covers bands will likely play long sets, so get something ergonomically balanced and light, or you will have some issues later. I can make any guitar work for a particular song, but halfway through set 4, I will wish I picked the lightest guitar.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

All signs point towards a PRS Custom. Wire that bad boy with a Jazz-59/Custom set and coil splits and you're good to go.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Sort of related, it's long proven that only a gear ratio of 12:1 is necessary to dial an instrument in to the proper accuracy IF the player has properly developed their ear and tunes up (not down) to lock the gear mesh into place. These crazy high ratios some companies tout are just something to market -there was a company in the 00s that had like a 30:1 gear ratio using 2 worm drives I believe instead of a planetary or something like that.

The real measure of a Machine Head is manufacturing quality for how the gears interact and remain in place -and thats ALL machining and parts matching quality. It's why high end shops like Sperzell doesn't make gearing high than 12:1 -because shoot out after shoot has proven that larger gears are easier to manufacture perfectly and hold tune better and can be dial accurately.

So if a company use gear ratio to tout their machine heads as better than other companies -don't assume it's a good thing without further research on the quality of the tuner. And this is not to say higher ratio tuners can't be great or easier for some to dial in, just that it's not required for the top quality choice of machine heads.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        So many things here; First if you have that gear and are in a 70's/80's cover band and can play all those tunes, why can't you pick a guitar?!?!?!? I'm a little confused at what you need help for here???

And, what does the OTHER guitar player have/do? Are you all rhythm, or do you play leads also?

Example: In my band (80's hair tribute) we both play leads. Just depends on who is "feeling" that solo and the nature of the beast. Since I Play LP types (dean Cadillacs, or V's) I usually do Sweet Child, Whitesnake (Sykes played a Les Paul) etc. The other guy plays Ibanez mostly, so anything stray or whammy he usually does. Between the two of us, we cover whatever is needed.

But for all around flexibility, I'd be getting an HSH Ibanez to play whatever. A humbucker loaded, Floyded Strat can play any of that. An SG or a Les Paul, not so much. But again...since there is another guitar player, what does he do? If you play rhythm only, no need for a whammy. If he is a Strat guy, I'll say SG or PRS on principle.
                        Sorry I was just trying to get some input and guidance it;s just hard to decide what I want to get for a next electric guitar as there is so many choices out there! To answer some of your qestions, yes me and the other guitarist both do rhythm and leads. My other guitarist also usually does anything requiring whammy but I'm not 100% opposed to doing anything requiring whammy. He also uses newer Ibanez Premium JEM's (I'm pretty sure he has all of them in the Premium JEM series! He loves them!) through Line 6 Relay G55 (Live) then into the newest version of the Marshall DSL100 head through a Bugera slant 4x12 with a mix of Celestions Vintage 30's and G12K100's through a Line 6 POD HD500 for just effects.
                        Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
                        Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
                        Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
                        2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
                        1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
                        Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
                        Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
                        Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

All signs point towards a PRS Custom. Wire that bad boy with a Jazz-59/Custom set and coil splits and you're good to go.
                          I don't know if I can afford a Core line Custom but maybe a S2 Custom 22 and wire it with the pickups you mentioned does sound good!!
                          Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            So many things here; First if you have that gear and are in a 70's/80's cover band and can play all those tunes, why can't you pick a guitar?!?!?!? I'm a little confused at what you need help for here???

And, what does the OTHER guitar player have/do? Are you all rhythm, or do you play leads also?

Example: In my band (80's hair tribute) we both play leads. Just depends on who is "feeling" that solo and the nature of the beast. Since I Play LP types (dean Cadillacs, or V's) I usually do Sweet Child, Whitesnake (Sykes played a Les Paul) etc. The other guy plays Ibanez mostly, so anything stray or whammy he usually does. Between the two of us, we cover whatever is needed.

But for all around flexibility, I'd be getting an HSH Ibanez to play whatever. A humbucker loaded, Floyded Strat can play any of that. An SG or a Les Paul, not so much. But again...since there is another guitar player, what does he do? If you play rhythm only, no need for a whammy. If he is a Strat guy, I'll say SG or PRS on principle.
                            Me and the other guitarist both do rhythm and leads. My other guitarist also usually does anything requiring whammy but I'm not 100% opposed to doing anything requiring whammy. He also uses newer Ibanez Premium Steve Vai JEM's (I'm pretty sure he has all of them in the Premium JEM series! He loves them!) through Line 6 Relay G55 (Live) then into the newest version of the Marshall DSL100 head through a Bugera slant 4x12 with a mix of Celestions Vintage 30's and G12K100's through a Line 6 POD HD500 for just effects.

Comment

Welcome back!

If the other guy is getting his Steve Vai on with the JEM, I'd definitely be going for something more "classic" and darker. Maybe a an ESP/LTD EC1000? Can get those with and without Floyd. I prefer to live my life without whammy bars. More hassle than worth to me - but that's me. As mentioned earlier, a cool switching PRS perhaps. Or just a classic Les Paul. Something to really "balls up" the sound. I'd be looking for that low-mid grind area maybe.

Think Gillis/Watson...
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

That or a Carvin Kiesel and own both. The Hybrid Jazz is a good combo but I prefer the Sentient in the neck. Fatter smoother bigger Humbucking tone and a MUCH better split tone. Together split the Hybrid/Sentient is simply fantastic!!
                                This is a Hybrid / Sentinet both Split running my Carvin DC 400 through my old Carvin X50 B and this guitar also has some MONSTER full hum-bucking tones!!
                                Guitars
                                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                                X