Good Electric Guitar For Covers Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Good Electric Guitar For Covers Band

Here is my old 93 Carvin DC 127 in solid KOA through my little Boogie Subway Rocket combo running an Alt 8 bridge and Sentinet neck. I'm really running through the tones that guitar is capable of in this clip from both pickups split to full humbucking crunch at times. I never leave the amps crunch channel and am running nothing but amp gain here using touch the splits and guitar volume ONLY to clean up and open up the tones. Frankly there is not much I can't cover with this guitar set up like this tone wise.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Want a super versatile killer with a Trem that is an absolute steal deal? If so check ths one out. Flame top DC 127 Carvin and if it had Stainless frets I would have already bought it. New build on this guitar from Kiesel would come in above $1800. Still tempted big time to buy this guitars myself!! Has had poor photos and just got some decent photos up 2 days ago this guitar should be selling in the 800 to 1000 range really with these options and in this condition.
      CARVIN 2003 DC 127, Wilkinson Trem, Sperzel Tuners, Graph Tech Nut & Saddle combo. Guitar color red. This Guitar like new all maintenance is done & ready to play. Comes with Fender Gig Bag. / Free Shipping, I do not ship over sea's lower 48 only!
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        All signs point towards a PRS Custom. Wire that bad boy with a Jazz-59/Custom set and coil splits and you're good to go.
        I just sold all except one of my guitars. What did I keep? PRS Custom 24 SE, stock minus upgraded tuners and strap locks.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Check out a PRS SE Custom 24 with 85/15S pickups. I tried one the other day and to me it's closer to a Strat than an LP because of the maple neck, the neck pickup is brighter because of the 24 fret neck and the 85/15S pickups are giving a convincing single-coil tone when splitted. The feel will be closer to your LP, but access to upper frets will be much better.

Comment

I’ll throw in an odd one I was looking at recently: Yamaha Pacifica PAC612VIIFM. Custom 5 bridge with split, SSL-1 middle and neck, Wilkinson vibrato, alder body, maple neck, warm rosewood fretboard. Can be found for about $650-$700 US. I could handle a lot of 60’s - 80’s through an EVH/Marshall with that.

Comment

This is the wiring he was referring to, which uses a 5 way and no push pulls. You do have to flip a magnet to keep everything in phase and humbucking.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
                Hello all, so I'm thinking of selling my 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special that has a Dimarzio super distortion p90 in the bridge and factory Gibson p100 pickup in the neck and using the funds to go towards another electric guitar as I'm trying to get the miles off my MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's in my sig and maybe going for something lighter as my Epiphone weighs a ton and takes a toll on my back! I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,500 if possible and I've even been looking at guitars in the $400 on up range.

I've been looking around online a lot and watching Youtube videos and reviews for some time, it's very hard for me to get to a music store like Guitar Center in Fairlawn, OH for example which is the closest to me, due to my work schedule. I'm in a classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning and are a 2 guitarist band. My primary Live rig right now is EVH 5150 III 50 Watt V2 6L6 head thru my Marshall 1960A w/2 WGS Retro 30's and stock celestion g12t75's in xpattern with my pedalboard: Korg Pitchblack tuner, ZOOM MS-70CDR and ModTone Clean Boost. As we are doing more shows, the EVH rig will be for live shows and right now my other guitarist is letting me use his Blackstar HT5R 1x12 Combo running through the matching Blackstar 1x12 cab and my aforementioned pedalboard is running through the effects loop.

Anyone have any suggestions or input? Thank you
                I've used tons of different guitars for playing in covers bands, but the one that I keep most consistently coming back to is this one, the Fender special ed. FMT telecaster: https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electr...262000520.html

Only about 7 lbs., so it's not a shoulder-killer like my LP is after a three or four set evening. Duncan 59/Pearly Gates pickups with push/pull coil tap. Set-in neck instead of bolt-on. Carved maple top. It's just this weird hybrid baby of a Gibson-style guitar and a Tele, and I've used it for playing everything from blues and classic rock to punk and metal stuff and pop and whatever else. Definitely not to everyone's taste, I get it, but for me this guitar always winds up being my go-to guitar for covers gigs because I can do everything with it. No Floyd Rose or anything as you see, but it's never been an issue for me since I was never much of a whammy bar guy personally.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  By far the most versatile guitar would be an HH Strat with a Stag Mag in the bridge and a PAF type pup or the 59/C hybrid in the neck with Dave's "Do It All Wiring" and a p/p to split the pups for good Stratty tones:

Positions:
                  1) bridge bucker
                  2) bridge + neck outside coils
                  3) both buckers
                  4) bridge + neck inside coils
                  5) neck bucker

With the split on, 1), 3), and 5) would be single coils.

I have this in one of my guitars with a Jazz bridge pup in the neck and the tone possibilities are amazing, versatile, and all very useful tones...nothing waisted. It is a wiring scheme I am using as a default in nearly all of my custom guitars (because it is that good, and because customers LOVE it).

Thanks go to Mincer for turning me on to his simple but beautiful scheme.
                  I hate Strats, but this is true.

The right setup Strat can approximate all the classic tones, whereas a Les Paul cannot. So in order to canvas all the tones for a cover band, a Strat makes the most sense.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 (just a bit over your budget but maybe on budget used): https://www.charvel.com/gear/shape/s...-fr/2835101768

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      One thing is that covers bands will likely play long sets, so get something ergonomically balanced and light, or you will have some issues later. I can make any guitar work for a particular song, but halfway through set 4, I will wish I picked the lightest guitar.
                      Hit the gym Dave....Cardio, w/ alternating Strength days!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        Hit the gym Dave....Cardio, w/ alternating Strength days!
                        Working out can't fix the damage 8lbs on one shoulder for 40 years does.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I play in a covers band doing everything from '50s oldies, classic rock, blues, country and jazz. I use Mesa Mark Series amps.

My Number One is a G&L Legacy strat, but I will also use a 2HB (LP or 335) for 12 to 15 songs a night. I also take a backup. That backup guitar is a G&L Legacy Special, or occasionally a G&L Comanche. The LS has Gotoh Dual Blade pickups that have a darker tone than the Legacy's vintage alnico singles, but Leo's patented tone control system gives these guitars tremendous versatility. I wouldn't want to play 9.5 lb. LP all night; the LS gives me strat ergnomics and can cop most of the tones of both the Legacy and the LP.

Also, while the HSS strat configuration is not my fave, there's no denying its popularity and versatility.

Bill
                          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Play left handed then.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                            X