Magnetic Pickups In An Acoustic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnetic Pickups In An Acoustic

Hey there fellas, I had an account a while back before the servers changed, but I think it's been deleted since then.

Anyway, I was wondering how many of you guys have tried retrofitting an electromagnetic pickup in the bridge of an acoustic guitar. I've played numerous guitars that have had something like this, but they were all designed with the pickup in mind.

What effects could I expect on the acoustic tone by doing something like this? Would it be drastic or more subtle, and in what direction would it shift the tone?
    "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Re: Magnetic Pickups In An Acoustic

Welcome (back) to the forum!

There have been several designs where an under-saddle/mic system was blended with a traditional single coil pickup (Fender, Godin, Taylor). Generally, the pickup alone, when working with acoustic phosphor bronze strings, sounds pretty twangy. It adds 'attack' but the body comes from the other sound sources. I am not sure it is the best way to amplify an acoustic on its own.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks!

Currently I have a LR Baggs Anthem in there, which features a fancy system that uses an under saddle transducer for the low end and a microphone for the high end. I'm looking at putting in a hifi single coil, like an Alumitone, but the issue was that is I would have to find a way to make it active so that I can blend the two.
      "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackhawkRise View Post
        Thanks!

Currently I have a LR Baggs Anthem in there, which features a fancy system that uses an under saddle transducer for the low end and a microphone for the high end. I'm looking at putting in a hifi single coil, like an Alumitone, but the issue was that is I would have to find a way to make it active so that I can blend the two.
        That sort of thing has been done on a few factory guitars, so I'd study how they do it.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
        X