• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ibanez PIA

Let's get back on track here...
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Would it be possible to retrofit an existing guitar with this magnetic trem cover system???
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        Would it be possible to retrofit an existing guitar with this magnetic trem cover system???
        You could easily DIY it. If you really wanted to.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I don't know what to think about this design. It feels like more of an art piece than anything, but then again it looks like an homage to stale late 90's psychedelia.

I too am a fan of the magnetic cover. It may not serve too much of a practical purpose in my book, but I bet it has its uses.
          "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."

MLK Jr.

Comment

I have to say, after looking at a lot more pics online in all the NAMM news, I think it is hideous. I am sure Steve would think the same thing if I was able to design a signature guitar, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
              You could easily DIY it. If you really wanted to.
              What are you thinking? Glue some magnets to the back of the trem cover and drill into the body to glue a magnet? I feel like that would be doable, but non-trivial.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                What are you thinking? Glue some magnets to the back of the trem cover and drill into the body to glue a magnet? I feel like that would be doable, but non-trivial.
                That's what I was thinking, you might be able to give it a better look by using a steel cover. Ed Roman once did a similar thing for one of Ted Nugents guitars to conceal a Derringer. Here's how he did it:

Click image for larger version

Name:	qsg_ted10.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	5818022

If you notice those bar magnets hidden in the overhang, it could be done fairly easily, but it would require some pretty invasive work.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  That's what I was thinking, you might be able to give it a better look by using a steel cover. Ed Roman once did a similar thing for one of Ted Nugents guitars to conceal a Derringer. Here's how he did it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102864[/ATTACH]

If you notice those bar magnets hidden in the overhang, it could be done fairly easily, but it would require some pretty invasive work.
                  Ted is paranoid & a draft dodger go figure.

Comment

I like it a lot. And i love gold hardware. Right up my alley.

Comment

Ibanez prices have gone over the roof for the past few years, even the Indonesian made ones, which just don't make any sense cause you might as well get a Fujigen made Prestige.

A large portion of the proceeds from Pia should go to Steve's wife pocket I reckon. But I sure as hell don't want to be associated with somebody's wife (and she was not even that hot).

I am surprised Ibanez didn't include the slide-able truss rod cover on this one like it does on Indonesian made; cause you (I at least) adjust the truss rod more often than I do the tremolo springs.

Comment

Magnetic control cavity covers are not a new thing. Many custom guitar makers have been doing it for years. Check out Peter Crossley's guitars.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          Such an intelligent and incisive post. You define deep thoughts when talking guitar. NOT!
                          Just expressing my personal opinion about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I have to say, after looking at a lot more pics online in all the NAMM news, I think it is hideous. I am sure Steve would think the same thing if I was able to design a signature guitar, too.
                            I totally agree. But I'm a bit surprised because you usually like "innovative" or fringe designs.

But the price is the main killer for me...outrageous!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              I totally agree. But I'm a bit surprised because you usually like "innovative" or fringe designs.

But the price is the main killer for me...outrageous!
                              I do, but I don't like stuff done in bad taste...it looks a lot like my Italian grandmother's living room. I am guessing he has the same grandmother.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                                Ibanez prices have gone over the roof for the past few years, even the Indonesian made ones, which just don't make any sense cause you might as well get a Fujigen made Prestige.
                                I know many people have positive experience with the Indo Premiums, but I had one, and while it was OK, it definitely didn't stack up to either a Prestige or even an old non-Prestige Japanese RG. Not by a stretch.

I'll take a Korean LTD or Schecter over an Indo Ibanez any day of the week, and I do like Ibanez.

Comment

Working...
                                X