X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Epiphone Les Paul Modern

Originally posted by BlackhawkRise View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]102872[/ATTACH]

If this picture is to scale, then the new ones are quite a bit bigger, and considerably more attractive in my opinion.
    To me, the old headstock was already-oversized. So the new one is worse. Maybe i am in the minority, but... ewh.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
      To me, the old headstock was already-oversized. So the new one is worse. Maybe i am in the minority, but... ewh.
      No, I don't like either, either. I would have gone for something a lot smaller.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is a lot of guitar at that price point. Definitely worth looking into. And that sparkling burgundy. Wow!

As for the headstock, it's the old headstock with the little side dips filled in to make it more like the Gibson headstock. It's definitely not the same as the one on the right in the pics shown here. That one is narrower and longer. The new one may be a little longer below the E tuners to the nut but it doesn't look like it's much.

Comment

What I don't get is that people don't have issues telling a Squier from a Fender, and their headstock is the same shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            What I don't get is that people don't have issues telling a Squier from a Fender, and their headstock is the same shape.
            Could it be that its because Squier went defunct for a good decade or so before being resurrected by Fender to become their budget line, while Epiphone never really went away and Gibson - as far as I know - acquired them due to market competition and by keeping some distinct visual elements and some Epiphone models they try to suggest that Epi stands on its own?

Comment

No doubt the line is successful- people don't see Epi as a separate line, though. They see it as more affordable versions of Gibsons. Their most popular models are not the holdovers from when Epi was a separate company.

Comment

No doubt the line is successful- people don't see Epi as a separate line, though. They see it as more affordable versions of Gibsons. Their most popular models are not the holdovers from when Epi was a separate company.
                I get it. But what I'm saying is that maybe the company tries to counter that opinion by keeping some unique visual elements, like the headstock shape. Squier headstocks say that Squier by Fender. That tell me that Fender doesn't try to make ppl believe that its something separate. Jacksons or Charvel don't say Jackson by Fender etc They are kept as an identity on their own, unlike the Squier line. But Epis are just Epiphone, not Epiphone by Gibson, which makes think tha however weak effort it may be, it is aimed keeping the illusion of being separate. I might be overthinking this though...

Comment

Gassing for the Modern and the Muse pretty hard, not gonna lie!

Comment

The Modern is the way I want an LP to be (if it has a tummy cut...I can't tell if it does).

Comment

The Modern is the way I want an LP to be (if it has a tummy cut...I can't tell if it does).
                      It doesnt to my knowledge.

Comment

Superman / Clark Kent
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                          I get it. But what I'm saying is that maybe the company tries to counter that opinion by keeping some unique visual elements, like the headstock shape. Squier headstocks say that Squier by Fender. That tell me that Fender doesn't try to make ppl believe that its something separate. Jacksons or Charvel don't say Jackson by Fender etc They are kept as an identity on their own, unlike the Squier line. But Epis are just Epiphone, not Epiphone by Gibson, which makes think tha however weak effort it may be, it is aimed keeping the illusion of being separate. I might be overthinking this though...
                          I think Gibson went thru a phase in the 90's. I'm almost certain that if I dig thru the pile of Les Paul's I have a mid-90's Epi with a "by Gibson" truss rod cover. Still, I agree there is more separation today.
                          I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by weepingminotaur View Post
                            It doesnt to my knowledge.
                            I think you're right. But it is kinda weird because Epi does put tummy cuts on some of their models.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The Muse has the tummy cut
                              But not the sculpted heel

The Modern has everything I want short of the tummy cut
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                                The Muse has the tummy cut
                                But not the sculpted heel

The Modern has everything I want short of the tummy cut
                                I'm in the exact same boat. Modern (especially that awesome Caribbean Fade figured version) is exactly what I want, except for that tummy-cut absence.

The Muse looks lighter, definitely. Anyone know anything about the Alnico Classic Pro humbuckers? I couldn't find any info on them. The Modern has the ProBuckers, which I'm already familiar with.

Comment

Working...
                                X