banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A5 Phat Cat neck with stock Pearly Gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A5 Phat Cat neck with stock Pearly Gates?

Hi all,

Recently I’ve noticed more and more that the Phat Cat neck in my Les Paul is pretty flubby, fatty and obese for use with a Deluxe Reverb when dead clean. I have a few A5 magnets on hand so curious if anyone has done a magnet swap from A2 to A5 and also combined it with a stock A2 Pearly Gates that’s in the bridge?

Thanks

Re: A5 Phat Cat neck with stock Pearly Gates?

I think it could work. Switching to two A5s is a pretty common Phat Cat mod.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

UOA5 Mags in the Phat Cat is amazing. I’ve paired it with a Pearly Gates but only tried them together Stock and with UOA5 Magnets.

The A5s should liven up the pickup a bit but that is coming from a guy who is not a big fan of A2 magnets.

Comment

Yes, A5 in the Phat Cat and stick a double thick A2 in the Pearly Gates.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Thanks guys, I just ordered some rough cast, unoriented A5s from Philadelphia Luthier Supply... not a bad price or shipping cost. I’ll try the Phat Cat alone first, if the A5 Phat Cat doesn’t play nice with the Pearly Gates I’ll swap magnets there too. When the parts aren’t much more than a cup of coffee it’s easy to get behind.

Comment

Originally posted by RockinProf View Post
            Thanks guys, I just ordered some rough cast, unoriented A5s from Philadelphia Luthier Supply... not a bad price or shipping cost. I’ll try the Phat Cat alone first, if the A5 Phat Cat doesn’t play nice with the Pearly Gates I’ll swap magnets there too. When the parts aren’t much more than a cup of coffee it’s easy to get behind.
            Sweet! Let us know what you think about the change!

Comment

Hi all,

So I received the rough cast OA A5 magnets and did the swap. Wow, there is a lot of wax under the cover of a Phat Cat. Anyways the change was very, very good. Gone is the flab and now it sounds snappy, focused... well it went from a 1981 Ford Thunderbird to a similar year Buick Grand National.... if that makes sense. So moral of the story, if you have a crazy bright 335 maybe the big luxury ride of A2 might work. In a thick Les Paul the snappy quick response muscle of the OA 5 might be the ticket.

Comment

Working...
              X