Thread: Boss FBM-1 Fender 59 Bassman

Tone Member

Default Boss FBM-1 Fender 59 Bassman

Any opinions on these? I know they are out of production and creeping up there in price.

Name:  B8998B21-5BF4-44CD-8E78-64295307E2B9.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  48.0 KB

tonewood instigator

Default Re: Boss FBM-1 Fender 59 Bassman

I've never tried one, but I hear they make a decent preamp.
    whisper words of wisdom,
    let it be

A Tech 21 Blonde does this sort of thing a lot better. I have directly compared both of them, and the Tech 21 wins, and it isn't close, either.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    A Tech 21 Blonde does this sort of thing a lot better. I have directly compared both of them, and the Tech 21 wins, and it isn't close, either.
    Dave, why do you always have to tear down everything good in my life?

Well, it isn't that the Bassman pedal is bad- it isn't, although I like the Deluxe version better. Now would be a good time to reissue these using the same tech they have in the new Tone Master amps.

+1 on the Deluxe version being better.

I assume that Boss can't release these pedals again simply because Fender has joined the pedal market and won't grant them licensing for the trademarks.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    +1 on the Deluxe version being better.

I assume that Boss can't release these pedals again simply because Fender has joined the pedal market and won't grant them licensing for the trademarks.
    Fender should do it themselves then. I am sure the actual modeling they are using in their amps doesn't take up anything larger than a pedal size.

Fender should do it themselves then. I am sure the actual modeling they are using in their amps doesn't take up anything larger than a pedal size.
    Likely Boss designed the modelling and just contacted Fender to use the name. In which case Fender owns the trademarks to the names and Boss to the technology. Which might be a big hurdle to overcome to reissue. :P
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Likely Boss designed the modelling and just contacted Fender to use the name. In which case Fender owns the trademarks to the names and Boss to the technology. Which might be a big hurdle to overcome to reissue. :P
    Fender just came out with their new modeling tech in a few amps. I am sure they own that, as it wasn't released in conjunction with anyone.

I have the blonde and really I couldn't get it work for me. Huge bottom end and mid-range had this weird tonal thing going on regardless of the tone controls. It just sounded bad. With same cab Fenders own Mustang I sounds better.

I still wanted a decent bassman style tone to add in my arsenal, so when Catalinbread 5f6 turned up I picked it up right away. That pedal sounds really, really good. The best Bassman tone I've played with.

Note that I haven't actually played real Bassman, so I can't say about authenticity. Just what sounds good to me.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Tone Member

I’ve also never played a real Bassman, but I’ll say this for the Boss pedal: It’s touch sensitive like crazy. I’ve been playing it today and really enjoying it once I figured out how to overdrive it with low-output Strat pickups. That is to say, you hit the strings hard.
    Last edited by TMD; 02-06-2020 at 06:24 AM.

Waaaaay back in the early 80's I had an old Bassman. 100 watts and it came with the Fender 2x15 vertical cab. Of course, back then, I didn't know crap about amps and used it as a bass amp, which it worked ok for. My friend used to play his guitar through it, using an old RadioShack kit Rat pedal for distortion. Then at some point some smack head stole it from my friend's practice space while he was borrowing it.

ive had a few tweed bassmans over the years, a modded ltd with p10q speakers was my favorite. the catalinbread is as close as ive heard, the fender never impressed me much but i know others that have liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Waaaaay back in the early 80's I had an old Bassman. 100 watts and it came with the Fender 2x15 vertical cab. Of course, back then, I didn't know crap about amps and used it as a bass amp, which it worked ok for. My friend used to play his guitar through it, using an old RadioShack kit Rat pedal for distortion. Then at some point some smack head stole it from my friend's practice space while he was borrowing it.
    Some of the best guitar tones I’ve ever had were through a Bassman 100 and 2x15” setup. A clean boost in the form of a wireless and a rat just sounded awesome.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Demanic View Post
    Wasn't it designed as a bass amp to begin with? And then guitarists just developed an affinity for it? Or did I just imagine that.

BTW, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those COSM-labeled Boss pedals early modeling tech?
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Quote Originally Posted by Coma View Post
    Wasn't it designed as a bass amp to begin with? And then guitarists just developed an affinity for it? Or did I just imagine that.

BTW, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong but weren't those COSM-labeled Boss pedals early modeling tech?
    COSM is Roland modeling, originally introduced in the VG-8 in 1995.

Also, the 1950’s bassman was designed as a bass amp, but guitarists quickly used it. By the Blackface and Silverface era it was used for both.
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-08-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Yeah these pedals were probably 2nd generation COSM tech. Flintlocks, by today's standards. That doesn't mean they sound bad, just that modeling itself has leaped forward exponentially. The closest modern pedal to these is the Fly Rig 5 from Tech 21. You get a Fender amp model, reverb, with some overdrive. Those don't use digital tech though.

I've got two of the Boss Fender Bassman pedals. One on each board.
    They do seem to work better with single coil pickups. I play Fender Blackface style amps and seem to allow you to dial
    in some of the missing mids with those style amps.
    I got both of mine used from Guitar Center used website. Cheapest place I found for them.