Fraying cloth pushback wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fraying cloth pushback wire

I'm just getting into doing my own wiring harnesses, I've done about four. Love being able to experiment with different components and configs. I've been using the Gavitt cloth pushback, which is great, except when it gets all frayed at the ends, obscuring other stuff, like other solders on the same lug, etc. Am I doing it wrong, or is there a way to make sure it doesn't fray? I was thinking about having some melted paraffin going so I could add it after cutting it, but that's kind of a hassle.

Re: Fraying cloth pushback wire

Cut the frays off so it looks decent and then hit it with a lighter for a few seconds.

Comment

Well, there it is then. I'll give it a shot. Thanks

Comment

After you cut the wire, push back the cloth at least twice as far as you need. Then when you've finished all of your soldering, pull it down to cover any bare wire. The more you "play" with the cloth, the more frayed it will get, so just get it out of the way while working.

ErikH's suggestion is worth trying.

What you're experiencing is why I don't use push-back wire any more. Plus it's a heavier gauge wire than I like to use, especially when using p/p pots.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
        X