Boutique Amps Distribution model Soldano SLO-100 NAMM 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boutique Amps Distribution model Soldano SLO-100 NAMM 2020

All the SLO updates have Dave Friedman written all over them as his amps have most of that Technology and are made by B.A.D. And Friedman loops are from George @ Metro Amps, im guessing these are the same design at least. And the V4 Metro loop is OUTSTANDING, thats why i have one. If Mike were an Engineer he would have upgraded these amps 25 years ago instead of plugging along with antiquated technology for so long. I like how Mike tries to take credit for the first cascaded preamp & first 80's type high gain amps until Shawn calls him on it. Randall Smith had the first Master Volume & cascaded preamp in like 1970. And the MESA MK I, MK II, & MK III series were in the works way before the SLO. Mike also likes to bash Smith & MESA ala his "tone talk/trash talk" interview. In reality all builders beg, borrow & steal circuits of which all have their dna going back 100+ years to Westinghouse & RCA. Nobody making guitar amps the last 50 years can hardly take credit for an R/C circuit. I have no problem with Mike leasing & cashing in on the Soldano name he built. By all accounts he should but lets drop the "magical amp bling" chutzpah and call a spade a spade.
    Last edited by JMP/HBE; 01-18-2020, 06:03 AM.

Re: Boutique Amps Distribution model Soldano SLO-100 NAMM 2020

if those rca engineers could see how their circuits are used, the might have gone into a another line of work

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      if those rca engineers could see how their circuits are used, the might have gone into a another line of work
      And these prices of these $4K & $5K guitar amps lol. $5K in 1920 would be equal to $125,616.50 today.

Comment

The DR circuit and the SLO circuit are VERY close to each other.

I like how he thinks $2500 is within realistic reach of most guitar players.

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post

I like how he thinks $2500 is within realistic reach of most guitar players.

The component values of the tone stack are similar but a Dual Rectifier is a beast unto itself & doesn't sound like an SLO to my ears. Like i said claiming an R/C circuit is "yours" and "yours alone" is ridiculous. Problem with the SLO-100 is you gotta crank the Master to about 6 to get the goods. My Dual Rectifier sounds awesome at any volume.

Comment

Soldanos have always been pricey. 4-5k today, if we adjust for inflation, is about the same price they commanded in 1988. Does the new production use the same proprietary transformers and silver conductor wiring and traces though?

The topology of a Soldano is very different from a Mesa Boogie MK series.

The original fx loops, if it had one, of an SLO was designed for the rack gear of the 80's. It was time that it be updated to what most guitarists use today.

I think the SLO was and is a landmark design. Imitation, as is said, is the best flattery.

Comment

I never liked the sound of the SLO 100. I've owned three, trying to gain an appreciation for them... didn't happen. I prefer lower-mid voicing.

Comment

And case in point, a cranked SLO sounds great, while the DR doesn't even sound a tenth as good as a Stilleto, a Boogie or a Royal Atlantic

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                  And these prices of these $4K & $5K guitar amps lol. $5K in 1920 would be equal to $125,616.50 today.
                  1/2019 = $4500 Buying power

1/1965 = $557.78

1/1955 = $477.33

By comparison a 1955 Strat sold brand new in 1955 for about $250, and that represents about $2357 in buying power now. That would buy a pretty nice US custom shop grade guitar now, and it'll get you a REALLY nice amp and several pedals, or well into a Soldano and a Friedman.

These exercises always fascinate me for some reason.

I remember trying an SLO100 about 8 years ago and it was just too damn much amp. I'd be interested in the 30w version, though I'm fine to wait for them to show up on the used market.

Comment

I know they aren't crankin' the SLO but def think the 35 Watter sounds better in the vid

That player demoing those wasn't really doing either amp any favors though with his pretty meh interpretation of the James Gang and Hendrix.

I just don't know what market there is in the modern world for these at 3-5k for just the head. They've always been good to great amps but you can do as good or better IMO for half the money with other options.

Even so, still cool amps.
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-26-2020, 02:33 PM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                      1/2019 = $4500 Buying power

1/1965 = $557.78

1/1955 = $477.33

By comparison a 1955 Strat sold brand new in 1955 for about $250, and that represents about $2357 in buying power now. That would buy a pretty nice US custom shop grade guitar now, and it'll get you a REALLY nice amp and several pedals, or well into a Soldano and a Friedman.

These exercises always fascinate me for some reason.

I remember trying an SLO100 about 8 years ago and it was just too damn much amp. I'd be interested in the 30w version, though I'm fine to wait for them to show up on the used market.

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl
                      Amplifier circuits were designed at the turn of the last Century that was my point. Mike Soldano trying to take credit for R/C circuits designed 120 years ago by demanding a premium in 2020 for his retirement is ridiculous to me but im sure someone will buy it. As someone once said "there's a sucker born every second".

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                        Amplifier circuits were designed at the turn of the last Century that was my point. Mike Soldano trying to take credit for R/C circuits designed 120 years ago by demanding a premium in 2020 for his retirement is ridiculous to me but im sure someone will buy it. As someone once said "there's a sucker born every second".
                        Yeah, anybody taking too much credit for tweaking the gain stages is probably overestimating themselves.... Guitar Tube Amplifiers are about as simple as it gets in electronics.

But making a quality product and bringing it to market is quite an accomplishment I don't want to take that part away from him.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I was this >< close to ordering an SLO 100 before I met Dave Friedman. I could not be happier with the amps I currently have.

All those fools scrambling to pay $4-$6k for a used SLO when Mike annouced his retirement.
                          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
                            Only in the preamp. The poweramp circuits are drastically different.

Comment

One word: Bogner

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X