Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solo boost to cut through the mix

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Default Re: Solo boost to cut through the mix

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    In my experience, most guys don't pick as hard soloing as they do when playing rhythms.
    Ha! That helps explain the other 10% - I wring the ever livin life out of those single notes!!

Thankyou Marshall JVM for having two mastewr volumes! Don't set your solo boost too much high though. If the sound guy has dialed in for your rhythm volume, he won't be too happy if you start clipping his input.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Beer$ View Post
    Thankyou Marshall JVM for having two mastewr volumes! Don't set your solo boost too much high though. If the sound guy has dialed in for your rhythm volume, he won't be too happy if you start clipping his input.
    I love that about my Mesa amps as well. I find myself skipping an effects slot on my Kemper so I can add a clean boost at the end of my signal chain now because of all my years with Mesa amps.

Forgot to add: You shouldn't need to boost much if you have a decent sound man.
    Last edited by chadd; 01-23-2020 at 11:47 AM.

EQ with a gain/volume control is the best answer. Though it need not be super adjustable, like a true multi band EQ pedal. For instance, a treble booster is pretty much just a preset, center anchored, ramp shaped EQ. What it does is pull the mud out while also boosting the upper frequencies. Result? More cut in the frequencies that actually cut, less sonic interference from the frequencies that don’t cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

At the risk of repeating myself: Keeley Katana.

To update the thread... I went with none of these suggestions. I kind of took the EQ-in-the-loop suggestion, so thanks for that.

I finally brought my Helix LT out of the house and went straight into the effects loop return, bypassing the preamp. I had been wanting to keep the Helix as an at-home setup and not complicate the tube amp setup, but you guys convinced me I'd be better off running something in the loop so I figured I might as well go all in. Instead of buying a new pedal, I bought a case for the Helix.

I set up the preset to have both an overdrive (the klon model) and a post-preamp EQ that gives an overall boost and a mid boost all with the same footswitch.

Got feedback from the rest of the band after the first song that it sounds way better.

Despite the reputation modelers have for being hard to use, I didn't have to tweak the patch with the amp at all. I chose a plexi preamp, a Klon (turned gain down and level up a bit), an EQ after (boosted a couple dB at 800 Hz and overall), assigned both to the same switch. Done. All set at home without the amp and it sounded great right away.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Yep, that'll do it!