banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dent in the back of a combo amp cab. Will it affect anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dent in the back of a combo amp cab. Will it affect anything?

Hey,

I got a combo amp/cabinet recently and I noticed on the back (the cab part is closed), theres like a puncture wound. It basically looks like someone stabbed it with a knife. It's a small puncture but it definitely cracked a tiny spot in the wood. It's an evh 50w 2x12 combo.

I ordered it new, but I gotta be honest, I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of sending this thing back. It's over 80 pounds. I mean, the back is going to be against the wall so as long as it doesn't affect the sound I don't care about a cosmetic thing. I'm also not going to be cranking the thing up to 10. Could a small crack in the back make any difference? I'll try to get a picture later..
    Last edited by chillytouch; 01-17-2020, 02:44 PM.

Re: Dent in the back of a combo amp cab. Will it affect anything?

is there a hole all the way through? no? you wont notice a difference. even if there is a hole all the way through, if its small, i doubt youd notice anything

Comment

Can you post a pic and measure it?

Let's see the exact size of the puncture

99% sure what you are going to show (judging buy your limited description) can't affect the waveform size of the Guitar Frequencies or it's useful harmonics.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

AFAICT from pictures, that is not actually a sealed cab. A fully sealed tube-powered guitar combo is pretty uncommon. In fact, I can't even name one off hand. In other words, there's a big-ass, most likely untuned, mega-port in the cab anyhow, so there will be no sonic effects of note.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-17-2020, 08:51 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          Can you post a pic and measure it?

Let's see the exact size of the puncture

99% sure what you are going to show (judging buy your limited description) can't affect the waveform size of the Guitar Frequencies or it's useful harmonics.

I contacted them and they said that I could either send it back or they'd give me a partial refund. I think I'm most likely going to go for the partial refund if this isnt going to affect the sound. I'm never going to see the back this.

The thought of lugging this thing down 3 flights of stairs, putting it in my car, and bringing it to UPS is so upsetting lol

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            AFAICT from pictures, that is not actually a sealed cab. A fully sealed tube-powered guitar combo is pretty uncommon. In fact, I can't even name one off hand. In other words, there's a big-ass, most likely untuned, mega-port in the cab anyhow, so there will be no sonic effects of note. That said, if you bought this new, absolutely send it back! No question.
            The risk of a hole in a closed back is an accidental waveguide/porting of certain frequencies out the back which may affect the speaker balance/response which affects the voicing and performance intended.

But honestly it would take pretty large hole to affect a guitar frequency. I don't there much chance at all this affect Chilly's sound.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Does that hole go thru the wood in the cab or is it just in the tolex? I can only see one of the picts, other requires permission.
              1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400
              Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                Does that hole go thru the wood in the cab or is it just in the tolex? I can only see one of the picts, other requires permission.

It's hard to tell. It's not like a straight shot through. You can kinda put your finger there and feel the wood is cracked but you cant like stick your finger through to the other side.

Comment

What they should do is to simply special order a new back panel from the manufacturer, and have it drop shipped to you. That's what I'd offer to do if I was the retailer. Cheap, straightforward, and effective. Everyone ends up happy. Nobody loses much money or has to put in much extra effort.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-17-2020, 08:52 PM.
                  Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                    It's hard to tell. It's not like a straight shot through. You can kinda put your finger there and feel the wood is cracked but you cant like stick your finger through to the other side.
                    In that case you can probably very easily and cheaply fill the hole in.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Back em screws out and look

See if its cracked

If it is send it back
                      It could rattle later as the crack grows
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        What they should do is to simply special order a new back panel from the manufacturer, and have it drop shipped to you. That's what I'd offer to do if I was the retailer. Cheap, straightforward, and effective. Everyone ends up happy. Nobody loses much money or has to put in much extra effort.
                        That's a great suggestion. Otherwise call the manufacturer and find out how much that will cost you and give them that cost as the amount of "refund"

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          That's a great suggestion. Otherwise call the manufacturer and find out how much that will cost you and give them that cost as the amount of "refund"
                          I would think the seller would be liable not the manufacturer
                          Maybe the shipper
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Well I've went back and forth with AMS a few times now. Their customer service has been helpful, but I really hate that I'm even in this situation to begin with.

In addition to the crack in the cab, the whole unit looks used for the most part. The foot pedal wasn't wrapped and has scratches that make it look like it's basically a used item, and when you closely examine the combo, you can kind tell it's not new. The front mesh of the grill looks sort of worn/dirty, and when I shined a flash light inside the amp there was a lot of dust inside. Idk, it just didn't look right, especially the scratched foot pedal.

The problem is lugging this thing to UPS and getting an exchange I feel like is too much work. I threw out the original box because it had a giant hole in it (which is from whatever punctured the cab) so I'd have to buy new boxes myself at UPS, pay for shipping to ship it back, and then wait for AMS to reimburse me for all that, if they even would.

I paid for a new item and got a damaged used one lol. But at the same time, it DOES work. So I am going to see how much they offer as a partial refund. As long as the thing works, I mind as well get a pair of headphones or something else I can use.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Christ. How lazy are you? Just send the thing back for a full refund, and buy a new one somewhere else.
                              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Working...
                              X