Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dent in the back of a combo amp cab. Will it affect anything?

Default Dent in the back of a combo amp cab. Will it affect anything?

Hey,

I got a combo amp/cabinet recently and I noticed on the back (the cab part is closed), theres like a puncture wound. It basically looks like someone stabbed it with a knife. It's a small puncture but it definitely cracked a tiny spot in the wood. It's an evh 50w 2x12 combo.

I ordered it new, but I gotta be honest, I REALLY don't want to go through the hassle of sending this thing back. It's over 80 pounds. I mean, the back is going to be against the wall so as long as it doesn't affect the sound I don't care about a cosmetic thing. I'm also not going to be cranking the thing up to 10. Could a small crack in the back make any difference? I'll try to get a picture later..
    Last edited by chillytouch; 01-17-2020 at 01:44 PM.

Default Re: Dent in the back of a combo amp cab. Will it affect anything?

is there a hole all the way through? no? you wont notice a difference. even if there is a hole all the way through, if its small, i doubt youd notice anything

Mojo's Minions

Can you post a pic and measure it?

Let's see the exact size of the puncture

99% sure what you are going to show (judging buy your limited description) can't affect the waveform size of the Guitar Frequencies or it's useful harmonics.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

AFAICT from pictures, that is not actually a sealed cab. A fully sealed tube-powered guitar combo is pretty uncommon. In fact, I can't even name one off hand. In other words, there's a big-ass, most likely untuned, mega-port in the cab anyhow, so there will be no sonic effects of note.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-17-2020 at 07:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NegativeEase View Post
    Can you post a pic and measure it?

Let's see the exact size of the puncture

99% sure what you are going to show (judging buy your limited description) can't affect the waveform size of the Guitar Frequencies or it's useful harmonics.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-y8...w?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-vP...w?usp=drivesdk

I contacted them and they said that I could either send it back or they'd give me a partial refund. I think I'm most likely going to go for the partial refund if this isnt going to affect the sound. I'm never going to see the back this.

The thought of lugging this thing down 3 flights of stairs, putting it in my car, and bringing it to UPS is so upsetting lol

Mojo's Minions

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaBass View Post
    AFAICT from pictures, that is not actually a sealed cab. A fully sealed tube-powered guitar combo is pretty uncommon. In fact, I can't even name one off hand. In other words, there's a big-ass, most likely untuned, mega-port in the cab anyhow, so there will be no sonic effects of note. That said, if you bought this new, absolutely send it back! No question.
    The risk of a hole in a closed back is an accidental waveguide/porting of certain frequencies out the back which may affect the speaker balance/response which affects the voicing and performance intended.

But honestly it would take pretty large hole to affect a guitar frequency. I don't there much chance at all this affect Chilly's sound.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Does that hole go thru the wood in the cab or is it just in the tolex? I can only see one of the picts, other requires permission.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

Quote Originally Posted by Hsb View Post
    Does that hole go thru the wood in the cab or is it just in the tolex? I can only see one of the picts, other requires permission.

It's hard to tell. It's not like a straight shot through. You can kinda put your finger there and feel the wood is cracked but you cant like stick your finger through to the other side.

What they should do is to simply special order a new back panel from the manufacturer, and have it drop shipped to you. That's what I'd offer to do if I was the retailer. Cheap, straightforward, and effective. Everyone ends up happy. Nobody loses much money or has to put in much extra effort.
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-17-2020 at 07:52 PM.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Quote Originally Posted by chillytouch View Post
    It's hard to tell. It's not like a straight shot through. You can kinda put your finger there and feel the wood is cracked but you cant like stick your finger through to the other side.
    In that case you can probably very easily and cheaply fill the hole in.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our ReverbNation

Back em screws out and look

See if its cracked

If it is send it back
    It could rattle later as the crack grows
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Ultimate Tone Slacker

What they should do is to simply special order a new back panel from the manufacturer, and have it drop shipped to you. That's what I'd offer to do if I was the retailer. Cheap, straightforward, and effective. Everyone ends up happy. Nobody loses much money or has to put in much extra effort.
    That's a great suggestion. Otherwise call the manufacturer and find out how much that will cost you and give them that cost as the amount of "refund"

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    That's a great suggestion. Otherwise call the manufacturer and find out how much that will cost you and give them that cost as the amount of "refund"
    I would think the seller would be liable not the manufacturer
    Maybe the shipper
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Well I've went back and forth with AMS a few times now. Their customer service has been helpful, but I really hate that I'm even in this situation to begin with.

In addition to the crack in the cab, the whole unit looks used for the most part. The foot pedal wasn't wrapped and has scratches that make it look like it's basically a used item, and when you closely examine the combo, you can kind tell it's not new. The front mesh of the grill looks sort of worn/dirty, and when I shined a flash light inside the amp there was a lot of dust inside. Idk, it just didn't look right, especially the scratched foot pedal.

The problem is lugging this thing to UPS and getting an exchange I feel like is too much work. I threw out the original box because it had a giant hole in it (which is from whatever punctured the cab) so I'd have to buy new boxes myself at UPS, pay for shipping to ship it back, and then wait for AMS to reimburse me for all that, if they even would.

I paid for a new item and got a damaged used one lol. But at the same time, it DOES work. So I am going to see how much they offer as a partial refund. As long as the thing works, I mind as well get a pair of headphones or something else I can use.

What do you guys think?

Christ. How lazy are you? Just send the thing back for a full refund, and buy a new one somewhere else.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

If they sold a used item and its got the whole they should send you a return label and you could then schedule UPS to come get it. If they wanna offer you a substantial partial refund then consider it but I wouldnt say oh heres $50 off. The dent sounds like it happened in shipping, thats not on AMS, the scratched foot pedal, thats on them. Ive ordered items before and received a used item, not ony did the company pay to ship the item back, I had a new one on my door step within a day and a half of calling them.
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

Christ. How lazy are you? Just send the thing back for a full refund, and buy a new one somewhere else.
    Was more worried about getting screwed over though on the cost of shipping it back. Fair point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsb View Post
    If they sold a used item and its got the whole they should send you a return label and you could then schedule UPS to come get it. If they wanna offer you a substantial partial refund then consider it but I wouldnt say oh heres $50 off. The dent sounds like it happened in shipping, thats not on AMS, the scratched foot pedal, thats on them. Ive ordered items before and received a used item, not ony did the company pay to ship the item back, I had a new one on my door step within a day and a half of calling them.
    Yes! That is what I want! I will call later after work and see if they can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by chillytouch View Post
    Was more worried about getting screwed over though on the cost of shipping it back. Fair point though.
    Why would you be paying return shipping? Any retailer worth their salt covers return shipping if the reason for the return is on them or on their shipper.
    Yogi Berra was correct.

Why would you be paying return shipping? Any retailer worth their salt covers return shipping if the reason for the return is on them or on their shipper.
    Yeah should be no reason you should be on the hook for any of it. If the customer service person cant help, go above his head and ask for a boss.
    Jackson Soloist 7 string