Ibanez SZ New Pups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez SZ New Pups

I'm going to replace the pups in my Ibanez SZ, it has the stock Duncan/Ibanez clones (Distortion and 59 clones I think?). I play Rock (classic, modern, hard) Pop and Blues. I was thinking a TB-59 and an SH-2n Jazz. Also it there a big difference in tone with or without chrome covers? Any opinions/advice welcome.
    Last edited by Snicker; 01-17-2020, 03:34 PM.

Re: Ibanez SZ New Pups

welcome to the forum!

there is a subtle softening of the high end with good quality cover on, some might not hear it at all. the tb59/sh2n is a fine setup if you want vintagey clear tones all around. never tried that combo in that guitar but in other guitars its worked great

Comment

Let me know if you want to sell your old stock pickups. I've been looking for those for a little while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      -Greg

Guitars:
      2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
      2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
      2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
      Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

my experience with Ibanez is go without the covers I've had various models I've either personally owned or people brought in where covers wouldn't fit humbucker routings. They were off by milometers. It was a bit of a gamble unless you've got as many sets of pickups kicking around as I do.

I found covers dampen the sound. They look cool and if it's the right project why not. However there was a reason Jeff Beck took the covers off his pickups to give them more lets call it life as I hate using buzz words. Check out youtube to see as I'm sure there has to be some good before and afters of applying covers to the same pickup(s). If you do go with covers remember to adjust the pole pieces (screws) to get a little more brightness if you miss it where stainless steel or similar strings. Not standard nickel plated steel we all know and love won't get you that tone back. The last covers I tried to put on an Ibanez RX series of some sort.

Funny enough I have a bunch of Ibanez pickups I was trying to sell locally and no one wanted them. Some boring V7, V8, S1 sets from late 80s or early 90s Ibanez RG550s and the ND2 set out of a SZ320 model. Dare I say the only Ibanez stock pickup set I liked by Ibanez believe it or not was the powersound set which usually get a bad reputation but for all I know it was just a good sounding guitar as I'm not big on brands.

This is a great video on the subject of adjusting pole pieces
        Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-17-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Since an Ibanez SZ is bright enough as it is and you won't play Metal with it, I'd say go with an Alnico 2 Pro set.

It's going to sound beefy and clear.
          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

What didn't you like about the original pickups?

That being said, I'd run Black Winters in and SZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              What didn't you like about the original pickups?

That being said, I'd run Black Winters in and SZ.
              The bridge (Distortion clone?) is a little too hot for my liking, I've had a pair of 59's in another guitar once and really liked them, but I'd like to try the Jazz in the neck for a little lower output, maybe a little cleaner or clearer when pushed? I like to do clean stuff on the neck too. I knew someone with a jazz in the neck with a coil tap that sounded good to me.
              Last edited by Snicker; 01-18-2020, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Black Winter neck is renowned for it's cleans.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=shadowfire90;4390240]my experience with Ibanez is go without the covers I've had various models I've either personally owned or people brought in where covers wouldn't fit humbucker routings. They were off by milometers.

Ya there isnt a lot of wiggle room there, I was thinking either chrome covers or zebra. I guess I'd have to email SD to get the exact measurements with covers.

Comment

Working...
                  X