HB with quarter pound Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HB with quarter pound Strat?

I’m thinking about trying a couple quarter pound strats in middle and neck, wondering what a good single coil size HB bridge would go well with these. Also, any opinions on the 1/4 pounders? Lastly, if I do an HSS like this, would it make sense to do a RWRP for the middle?

Re: HB with quarter pound Strat?

i really like the qp in the bridge, havent loved it in the neck and middle but ive also not tried it with a bucker in the bridge. i bet qp neck and middle with a custom in the bridge would be kick ass (500k pots) as far as single coil size buckers, id go hot rails

Comment

Originally posted by hwkremer View Post
      I’m thinking about trying a couple quarter pound strats in middle and neck, wondering what a good single coil size HB bridge would go well with these. Also, any opinions on the 1/4 pounders? Lastly, if I do an HSS like this, would it make sense to do a RWRP for the middle?
      I should mention that I have a couple guitars with JB, one regular and one mini, so would like to try something else. Doesn’t even have to be a humbucker. Maybe the 1/4 pound sounds great in bridge, I’ve just never heard them in person.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        i really like the qp in the bridge, havent loved it in the neck and middle but ive also not tried it with a bucker in the bridge. i bet qp neck and middle with a custom in the bridge would be kick ass (500k pots) as far as single coil size buckers, id go hot rails
        Funny, you addressed my reply to my own post before I submitted. That’s good to know, thanks.

Comment

Like Jeremy, I've only tried the 1/4 pound in the bridge, and I also really like it.

Any reason you want a single-sized bucker in the bridge instead of a true single coil? Maybe three 1/4 pounds would be interesting. I'd think you'd want to keep the bridge pup high and the neck lower. But it's personal preference.

Yes, the middle pup should be RWRP so you can have hun cancelling in positions 2 and 4.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I used a QP in middle position on an HSH Floycaster for decades. I liked it a lot (only replaced it because I was switching that axe to the Parallel Axis pickups).

It's a great rock pickup with beef & attitude, yet still has a single coil soul. Not especially chimey, of course, but it still sparkles when treated gently and gives authentic singlecoil bite when you dig in. The output absolutely held its own working with humbuckers.

I have one in bridge position on another Strat and it sounds great with the 250K volume pot.
            As mentioned above, for middle or neck position 500K is definitely the way to go.

The QPs personality is almost edging into P90 territory, just with more glass and a bit less snot.
            I for one love P90 neck tone too - I bet the QP would sound great in neck position.
            It'll be loud though.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
            X