School me on fx loop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on fx loop

Looking for any techniques you guys might have to offer on what pedals to put where to improve the sound or any other general knowledge.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 01-17-2020, 04:23 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: School me on fx loop

I use a 31 band graphic EQ in the loop of my Randall.
    Generally, modulation and delay work better in a loop. Drive, wah etc work better in front. Compression and boost can go either way, depending on what sort of sounds you are looking for.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Thx, I'll try my eq and delay before then in the loop and see if I notice a change.
      I bought them for you

Comment

Ive tried my eq before and after my loop, didnt care for it in the loop, so of right now only delay and reverb run thru the loop, od, eq and phaser hit the feont of the amp. Had the phaser in the loop for a while and switched up a few days ago.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I use my eq in the loop to fine tune the pre-amp before it hits the power amp.

Comment

Any time based effect is going to sound better AFTER the preamp stage ie in the Fx loop.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Would the built in reverb be in the loop?

I have my bluez driver and tuner in front. Footswitch for the amp's spring reverb. Then eq, delay, and my crappy behringer reverb set to hall in the loop. It's goin good!
              I bought them for you

Comment

I would think that the stock reverb would have to be in the loop. But probably always at the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  Any time based effect is going to sound better AFTER the preamp stage ie in the Fx loop.
                  ...except when it sounds better before? I’ve come to prefer “analog” modulation before the amp (phaser/vibe, flanger and even chorus a lot of the time) then “digital” modulation in the loop (digital chorus, rotary, etc.). I do prefer delay in the loop most of the time, but a short analog style delay can sound good before too. (I’m just obsessed with 60’s and 70’s tones, even EVH on the early albums.)
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    ...except when it sounds better before? I’ve come to prefer “analog” modulation before the amp (phaser/vibe, flanger and even chorus a lot of the time) then “digital” modulation in the loop (digital chorus, rotary, etc.). I do prefer delay in the loop most of the time, but a short analog style delay can sound good before too. (I’m just obsessed with 60’s and 70’s tones, even EVH on the early albums.)
                    Yeah, definitely there are always exceptions for what you might fancy, but as a starting point for avoiding muddy or noisy tones, you want to start with the principles that give you the most succinct foundation to evaluate tones -which is doing things that keep the S/N ratio as good as possible, keep unity gain through the circuit (until you want to experiment with that), and keep effects that have a waveform shape, size, or repetition that is electrically "difficult" for circuits through as few of points as necessary to amplify them.

But hey, we wouldn't have preamp distortion if rules were followed right? So start with the best way on paper and then deviate one variable at a time to start to know what happens when you go for it.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah, definitely there are always exceptions for what you might fancy, but as a starting point for avoiding muddy or noisy tones, you want to start with the principles that give you the most succinct foundation to evaluate tones -which is doing things that keep the S/N ratio as good as possible, keep unity gain through the circuit (until you want to experiment with that), and keep effects that have a waveform shape, size, or repetition that is electrically "difficult" for circuits through as few of points as necessary to amplify them.

But hey, we wouldn't have preamp distortion if rules were followed right? So start with the best way on paper and then deviate one variable at a time to start to know what happens when you go for it.
                      Yes, great points.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Succinct
                        Now there's a word that one doesn't read too often.

Comment

Really the only thing I put in the effects loop these days is delay and reverb. I usually keep my phaser in front, and I don't particularly use any of the other "loop" effects all that much.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I may just try my MT-2 in the loop.

Comment

I run most all chorus, flange, delay, and reverb in the loop. Note that I said "most."

Also - what kind of loop? Series or Parallel?

Series Preamp signal > 100 wet > Power amp

Parallel Preamp Signal >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Power amp
                              ............................... > effects 0-100% wet>>>Power amp

They both have their benefits. For example, EVH had a mega- reverb on his guitar, but it was blended with a parallel direct signal. If you listen to just the reverb side, it is almost uninterpretable. Together, it is a clear, crisp and cool sounding!
                              Last edited by Aceman; 01-17-2020, 09:55 PM.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X