Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 epiphone SG? should I...

Default 2020 epiphone SG? should I...

I have nothing with humbuckers, I have a strat, tele, and jazzmaster. Les Pauls are great but sometimes they are uncomfortable, I had a Gibson SG once, I sold it to fund other stuff and kinda miss it . Maybe these 2020 Epi SG are the answer. They have a better looking headstock than before. The SG standard comes in white with a full sized pickguard. The sexiest combo to me. I've wanted a gibson one like that forever, but alas the $$$$.....

My finger's on the trigger I kinda want it.... it would just need duncan buckers at some point. and a case.

only reason not to is... I'm not so good a player that I NEED another guitar. I get on 90% of the time fine on my tele for blues and blues rock and stuff I like to "play". And I'm busy these days, lucky to get a few hours a week to play. but man... do want.

thanks for letting me think out loud.

do you like SGs? white ones?
    I do!

Default Re: 2020 epiphone SG? should I...

I don't think need has much to do with it. If you want it and can swing the price go for it! Plus having the humbuckers may inspire you to play more.

You could always sell something you aren't really using. That's usually how I fund new purchases.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Got to see how the neck profile is on the 2020's, generally they get awkwardly wide as you go up around the 10th fret

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    You could always sell something you aren't really using. That's usually how I fund new purchases.
    Hmm I don't think I have any instruments I could part with. Pretty much love my tele and strat for what they are. I think I could only sell those to move up the tele or strat ladder.
    My fender supersonic 22 doesn't get as much use these days cuz I have my 68 custom Princeton
    But I cringe when I think of getting rid of the supersonic. The drive channel is addicting.

The jazzmaster is one I refinished myself and I will probably hold onto it forever based on that.

Also if I get the SG I'll still not have anything with a locking trem. I've never owned one, and the cover bands guitar thread got me thinking that at some point I'm gonna want one to expand my repertoire and skills

So get the SG AND something with a floyd, issue solved. By the way, never too many guitars, now only to convince the wife and checkbook of that.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550
    Jackson Soloist 7 string

Ultimate Tone Slacker zionstrat's Avatar

Good Sgs are fantastic guitars to cut through the mix. They have nearly the same bloom and thick timbre of a Les Paul but are capable of being far more articulate because they're not overwhelmed with mid-range.

Personally, I've moved away from 24.75 scale and Gibson in general. There are so many incredible guitars out there that play and sound better than mini Gibson's.

On the other hand I still love classic SGs and think it's likely I'll probably add another one one of these years ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191203-232105_Facebook.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	102866

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Sounds like you should look into The Charvel line of electric guitars as they have models that are made like Fenders (no surprise as Fender owns the Charvel name)and come with humbuckers with floyd rose locking trems as well.

The p-90 sg classic is catching my eye, but not totally getting my pull. I have enough sg's to satisfy my sg needs.

The sg will have other attributes that are different from your tele than just humbuckers. There is a difference in scale length and ergonomics which you might appreciate enough to justify the purchase. I say do it.

Simple answer is...just get it.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

tonewood instigator

Dang, I hadn't had a chance to look at the new SGs, this one with an added half pickguard and black bridge pickup would be my first choice if I were in your position.
    whisper words of wisdom,
    let it be

Was looking at charvels....
    They look cool...

Now I want both

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Got to see how the neck profile is on the 2020's, generally they get awkwardly wide as you go up around the 10th fret
    for SGs in general or just the epis?

Before I looked at 2020 epis I was thinking the prs se 245 looked kinda cool but as the same time it is visually not my favorite but...
    Yeah
    I do kinda want something with a shorter scale I find I play a little differently with them maybe a little faster cuz the frets are closer

Going to SG's

You might consider a PRS SE Santana. Have had one for a year now and really like it. Put a WLH -- 59/Custom combination in it and it sounds alive.
    On the PRS's, with the exception of the Santana, the guitars have a narrower radi than Gibson coming in at about 10 inches I think with the Santana coming in at just over 11 inches. This makes all the difference in the world to me. Some of those PRS SE Customs are really nice guitars and worth the money.

As for the Epiphone SG.......

A local store got one of these in just before Christmas.

All I can say is ...... it was a pleasure to try out in the store.

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIU...RO/Mojave-Fade

Just checked the Epiphione USA site and the modern SG's are listed.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie,
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

White with full guard is a great look. Epis are usually OK these days. I even like the stock humbuckers that most of them have, and I highly prefer the new headstock that some of them have now.

Do you need it? Who cares. If you want it, and you can afford it, knock yourself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

I can kinda afford the epi
    But anything with a non licensed Floyd, even used, I had better wait if that's what I really want
    What do I really want is more the question I guess

If I want both and can afford only the cheaper one, I could get it now and it would be longer till I got the other one
    Or hold off until I can get more expensive option first, something with a durable locking trem that I can abuse while I learn the thing. It would allow me to attemp to make different music while I wait for the epi.
    And yeah

To be honest I'm much less picky with pickups since I've got some half decent amps and learn to just play and listen
    The epi stock pickups are fine but of course an upgrade would be ideal

A lot of the FR ones I'd be looking at come with SDs already.

Now as for the Santana I'll look at that, historically I've been most comfortable on 7.25 and 9.5 but have owned many 12"
    Edit: looked at them... Man there's a lot of yellow ones which is also aesthetically not my bag as much

Part of me has been considering a 335 type like a dot or something cuz some big influences of mine are Chuck Berry and Keith Richards and Keith used his 355 I think it was to great effect I thought. But stones they used Les Pauls and sgs a good bit in the studio in the 70s and sometimes live and the SG cuts really good and will not have feedback so much, plus smaller form factor. I really like so many sounds it's hard to say what I want to focus on most!

Crap!!!
    Too many guitars!!
    Last edited by FuseG4; 01-20-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FuseG4 View Post
    for SGs in general or just the epis?
    Most of the Epi's for quite sometime but yes on the SGs

Quote Originally Posted by The_Junior View Post
    The p-90 sg classic is catching my eye, but not totally getting my pull. I have enough sg's to satisfy my sg needs.
    Absolutely love mine!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	classic.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	63.3 KB 
ID:	102903

Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Most of the Epi's for quite sometime but yes on the SGs
    is this that part of that uncomfortable feeling that has made me always keep the fenders and ditch the epiphones and even the few gibsons I've had, I wonder...