2020 epiphone SG? should I...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 epiphone SG? should I...

I have nothing with humbuckers, I have a strat, tele, and jazzmaster. Les Pauls are great but sometimes they are uncomfortable, I had a Gibson SG once, I sold it to fund other stuff and kinda miss it . Maybe these 2020 Epi SG are the answer. They have a better looking headstock than before. The SG standard comes in white with a full sized pickguard. The sexiest combo to me. I've wanted a gibson one like that forever, but alas the $$$$.....

My finger's on the trigger I kinda want it.... it would just need duncan buckers at some point. and a case.

only reason not to is... I'm not so good a player that I NEED another guitar. I get on 90% of the time fine on my tele for blues and blues rock and stuff I like to "play". And I'm busy these days, lucky to get a few hours a week to play. but man... do want.

thanks for letting me think out loud.

do you like SGs? white ones?
    I do!

Re: 2020 epiphone SG? should I...

I don't think need has much to do with it. If you want it and can swing the price go for it! Plus having the humbuckers may inspire you to play more.

Comment

You could always sell something you aren't really using. That's usually how I fund new purchases.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Got to see how the neck profile is on the 2020's, generally they get awkwardly wide as you go up around the 10th fret
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          You could always sell something you aren't really using. That's usually how I fund new purchases.
          Hmm I don't think I have any instruments I could part with. Pretty much love my tele and strat for what they are. I think I could only sell those to move up the tele or strat ladder.
          My fender supersonic 22 doesn't get as much use these days cuz I have my 68 custom Princeton
          But I cringe when I think of getting rid of the supersonic. The drive channel is addicting.

The jazzmaster is one I refinished myself and I will probably hold onto it forever based on that.

Also if I get the SG I'll still not have anything with a locking trem. I've never owned one, and the cover bands guitar thread got me thinking that at some point I'm gonna want one to expand my repertoire and skills

Comment

So get the SG AND something with a floyd, issue solved. By the way, never too many guitars, now only to convince the wife and checkbook of that.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Good Sgs are fantastic guitars to cut through the mix. They have nearly the same bloom and thick timbre of a Les Paul but are capable of being far more articulate because they're not overwhelmed with mid-range.

Personally, I've moved away from 24.75 scale and Gibson in general. There are so many incredible guitars out there that play and sound better than mini Gibson's.

On the other hand I still love classic SGs and think it's likely I'll probably add another one one of these years ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191203-232105_Facebook.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	5818023

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
              What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Sounds like you should look into The Charvel line of electric guitars as they have models that are made like Fenders (no surprise as Fender owns the Charvel name)and come with humbuckers with floyd rose locking trems as well.

Comment

The p-90 sg classic is catching my eye, but not totally getting my pull. I have enough sg's to satisfy my sg needs.

The sg will have other attributes that are different from your tele than just humbuckers. There is a difference in scale length and ergonomics which you might appreciate enough to justify the purchase. I say do it.

Comment

Simple answer is...just get it.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Dang, I hadn't had a chance to look at the new SGs, this one with an added half pickguard and black bridge pickup would be my first choice if I were in your position.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Was looking at charvels....
                        They look cool...

Now I want both

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                          Got to see how the neck profile is on the 2020's, generally they get awkwardly wide as you go up around the 10th fret
                          for SGs in general or just the epis?

Comment

Before I looked at 2020 epis I was thinking the prs se 245 looked kinda cool but as the same time it is visually not my favorite but...
                            Yeah
                            I do kinda want something with a shorter scale I find I play a little differently with them maybe a little faster cuz the frets are closer

Comment

Going to SG's

You might consider a PRS SE Santana. Have had one for a year now and really like it. Put a WLH -- 59/Custom combination in it and it sounds alive.
                              On the PRS's, with the exception of the Santana, the guitars have a narrower radi than Gibson coming in at about 10 inches I think with the Santana coming in at just over 11 inches. This makes all the difference in the world to me. Some of those PRS SE Customs are really nice guitars and worth the money.

As for the Epiphone SG.......

A local store got one of these in just before Christmas.

All I can say is ...... it was a pleasure to try out in the store.

The DC PRO is Epiphone’s modern take on the classic Del Rey Double Cut design. Featuring a solid mahogany body with a AAA flame maple veneer top, ProBucker™ humbuckers with coil-splitting, and a treble bleed circuit to maintain clarity at reduced volumes. Now available in Black Cherry, Faded Cherry Sunburst, Midnight Ebony, Mojave Fade, and Wild Ivy.

Just checked the Epiphione USA site and the modern SG's are listed.
                              That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                              And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
                              X