Why aren’t humbucker slugs staggered like strat single coil pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren’t humbucker slugs staggered like strat single coil pickups

I was just wondering why single coil slug magnets tend to be staggered but humbucker slug polepieces are never staggered. Humbucker ones are all the same height. I’m sure they could be staggered just as well as long as they maintain contact with the bar magnet.

Re: Why aren’t humbucker slugs staggered like strat single coil pickups

So that they fit under the cover. You can stagger the screws if you want better string to string balance or to alter the tone, so you don't really need to stagger the slugs.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Other than what the first response said you don’t really need stagger all that much for wider radius necks and an unwound G.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The original PAF didn't have adjustable pole pieces as the designer Seth lover felt that stagger and adjustability were not needed. Also keep in mind the magnetic field generated by a horizontal bar mag under the coils using pole pieces to direct the field is very different from individual rod magnets like are used in strat pups.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Yeah, the prototype Seth lover humbucker had a plain cover with no screws. Of course Ted McCarty made the production versions with adjustable screws as it matched the aesthetic of the p90 a bit closer than the original design did.

Comment

The stagger on the 1st single coils was done to get a more even string response with the tight fretboard radius and the string sets with a wound 3 they were using at the time. IMO they are not needed with today's flatter board radius and the strings we all use. I prefer flat pole single coils in most of my guitars. There are some exceptions but think the flats give a more even string response than the staggered does.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Compared to Gibson style HB's, Fender style single coil poles are way more gaussed and their resonant peak has a way higher Q factor. These parms make the height of pole screws under the strings theoretically more important in single coils than in HB's. IOW: with a diffuse magnetic field and a flatter bandwidth like those of typical HB's, there's no theoretical justification for staggering (which doesn't mean that rising screw poles has no effect, of course).
              Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Working...
              X