Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Brands

Default Favorite Brands

I came to realize today that I only really play a couple of brands. Most of my guitars (at least the good ones) are Ernie Ball Music Man, most of my pedals are Boss, and all three of my amps are Fender. To be honest, I could sell everything I own that's not in those categories and be just about fine without em.

What brands are like this for you?

tonewood instigator

Default Re: Favorite Brands

That's a pretty utilitarian setup you've got there, I like it!

But me, if someone held a gun to my head and told me I was down to a handful of brands, I'd say PRS for the guitars, Wampler for the pedals, and Friedman for the amps, not that I could really afford to only use those brands.
    whisper words of wisdom,
    let it be

Interesting choices. PRS is the natural evolution of the luxury of Gibson mixed with the practicality of Fender, Wampler has loads of modded versions of other pedals, and Friedman sells what amounts to hot rodded Marshalls.

I sense a theme here...

Fender, Epiphone, EHX, JHS and Wampler.

Yes. I love Epiphone.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

Fender guitars and amps. Wampler and Cast Engineering pedals, and a coupe Gibson guitars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try out anything, and willy happily play whatever seems to be good. Oddly enough, the brands that I have spent the least time with are Fender, Gibson, and Marshall . . . because I think they tend towards being overpriced for what they are selling.

While Boss pedals don't always produce exactly the sound that I want, they're always well made and tend to be very reliable.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

I don't think I am very brand-specific, except SDs. If I have access to it to try it, and I like it, I will get it. The hard part is the access- many brands simply don't show up in the local guitar store.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I have pretty eclectic tastes.
    About two-thirds of my guitars are Gibson, Fender, or PRS. I also own a dozen or so other brands.
    Nearly all of my amps are either Boogie or pre-CBS Fender, though there are a scant handful of others.
    Pedals & effects, they're all over the place. But I have a lot of Lovepedals.
    "Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now."-Jol Dantzig

Mojo's Minions Lake Placid Blues's Avatar

Charvel guitars and Marshall amps. I have and use others of course, but the title did ask for favorites.

Kiesel/ Carvin, Suhr and PRS in that order. I own 6 Kieslel /Carvins now and just keep coming back to them. Been playing them constantly since the late 1980's. If I could have only one forever guitar to play with unlimited $ to spend on it it would be a Kiesel Carvin.
    With amps Zinky, PRS, Marshall and Boogie are my preferences.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-21-2020 at 02:00 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Underglazed Hair Metalologist 80's_Metal's Avatar

Lately I've been all Marshall, Epiphone, EHX.
    But I also adore my Deans and my Gibson.

I don't feel as though I'm all about the brand name, as much as how it sounds and feels to me.

I'd play pretty much anything but a fender.

Fender, gibson, ibanez, prs and k-line.

my banana hammock hosts a leetle peppercini and has hit the skids Aceman's Avatar
    I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

SD pickups are about the only thing like that for me. And even then, I have quite a few DiMarzios where needed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

I'm really utilitarian regarding brands. EHX and SD are probably only ones where I can say the brand had sway for choosing that particular gear.

I love stratocaster design though, but I wouldn't call that brand loyalty. It's because I think it technically defines the perfect solid body guitar design.
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Mojo's Minions

All my guitars are variations on Gibson and Fender.
    But pickup wise I have a lot of different small winders as sources of vintage pickup clones.......and amp wise and pedal wise I'm all over the place.......probably 20 different brands.

Mojo's Minions

Mesa amps. (9)

Strat-style: G&L--Legacys, and brethren. I also have an ASAT Deluxe. (21)

Gibson: ES-335s (3), and Les Pauls (11).

Martin Dreadnoughts (18)

Takamine A/E 12-strings (2), and DanElectro electric s/b 12-strings (2).

Ibanez (5), various models and a banjo.

Couple of vintage Music Man Sabres, a Taylor 710CE, a broken Hondo project, and a Fender Precision Lyte bass round it out. There are some other amps around, too. And for PA, there's JBL, Peavey, Carvin, and QSC.

But G&L, Gibson, Martin and Mesa are the main ones.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Strings, I stick with D'Addarios, because they work, and are cheap & easily available. Picks, I buy custom from InTune GP since I am weird and have to have a hard-to-find texture/shape/size.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

I don't care what's what as long as I like it. Variety is the spice of life..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Bandcamp

For guitars, it's ESP. I just sold my Les Paul because it was collecting dust. I only play my 2 ESP Eclipses. It's what the Les Paul should've become. One has a Whole Lotta Humbucker set and is set up in standard tuning. The other has Dimarzios, setup in D standard.

I don't have any brand loyalty for amps or pedals though.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Fender
    Ampeg

Neither are perfect. Both can disappoint. But for the most part, they make a solid, predictable, and largely affordable product that gives me what I want with very little muss or fuss.

Used to be a big G&L fan boy, but experiences with them, and changes in the company, have made me very down on them in recent years.

Gibson, I love when they are good. But damn, it took a lot of work to make them good during the Henry J. years. For what they cost, that shouldn't have been the case. FWIW, I also have a post-Henry J. SG Special, and it's a great improvement over every single one of the many Henry J. era ones that I owned (and still own).
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-20-2020 at 09:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.