Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Brands

Mesa amps. (9)

Strat-style: G&L--Legacys, and brethren. I also have an ASAT Deluxe. (21)

Gibson: ES-335s (3), and Les Pauls (11).

Martin Dreadnoughts (18)

Takamine A/E 12-strings (2), and DanElectro electric s/b 12-strings (2).

Ibanez (5), various models and a banjo.

Couple of vintage Music Man Sabres, a Taylor 710CE, a broken Hondo project, and a Fender Precision Lyte bass round it out. There are some other amps around, too. And for PA, there's JBL, Peavey, Carvin, and QSC.

But G&L, Gibson, Martin and Mesa are the main ones.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Strings, I stick with D'Addarios, because they work, and are cheap & easily available. Picks, I buy custom from InTune GP since I am weird and have to have a hard-to-find texture/shape/size.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't care what's what as long as I like it. Variety is the spice of life..
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

For guitars, it's ESP. I just sold my Les Paul because it was collecting dust. I only play my 2 ESP Eclipses. It's what the Les Paul should've become. One has a Whole Lotta Humbucker set and is set up in standard tuning. The other has Dimarzios, setup in D standard.

I don't have any brand loyalty for amps or pedals though.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Fender
            Ampeg

Neither are perfect. Both can disappoint. But for the most part, they make a solid, predictable, and largely affordable product that gives me what I want with very little muss or fuss.

Used to be a big G&L fan boy, but experiences with them, and changes in the company, have made me very down on them in recent years.

Gibson, I love when they are good. But damn, it took a lot of work to make them good during the Henry J. years. For what they cost, that shouldn't have been the case. FWIW, I also have a post-Henry J. SG Special, and it's a great improvement over every single one of the many Henry J. era ones that I owned (and still own).
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-20-2020, 10:12 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If I had to, I think I could build an entire pedalboard out of TC stuff and be satisfied, but I'd *rather* handle the gain stages with Wampler and use TC for modulation and time effects.

Instruments: I could get by with just EBMM. Or Gretsch. Or Gibson or Fender. Honestly, any one guitar COULD be my only guitar, if it had to be.

Amps: Vox, probably. Maybe Orange.
              ---------------------------
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I've got two Epis that are awesome my Florentine and Hummingbird are excellent

I've got two Ibanez RGs that are just everything I want in a super strat

I have a Dean Shire, a semihollow LP that comes with a piezo bridge. What more could you want?

I have two Ibanez SR series basses, that I just can't keep my hands off of

I have two custom made Ehdwuld branded guitars that were made to my specs and I love them

But my Gibson with the swamp ash body and maple neck loaded with a JB/JAZZ set with TS rings
                Is the one everyone wants to play
                Me included
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I do have 2 amps and a few pedals by Tech 21. I just dig what they do, which is provide easy-to-get-to basic tones that work well with any pedals.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm not in love with many brands enough to stick by it forever as a favorite without question -I'm always open to ideas on products.

BUTTT I have plenty of aversions to companies that either put out sh*t, or are dishonest in their marketing, or have terrible customer service.

So I guess I have my Sh*t List more than my actual Favorites.

Usually when companies get sold, absorbed by a conglomerate, or moves everything overseas -you can bet most times their support, their quality or their vision suffers.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

EVH Guitars, amps, pedals.

I know this may be an unpopular one too, but I actually really like blackstar. I have a used HT-5R which has a really unique sound that I love, and I also tried the ID 260-TVP stereo amp. That one is great too.
                      Last edited by chillytouch; 01-21-2020, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                        EVH Guitars, amps, pedals.

I know this may be an unpopular one too, but I actually really like blackstar. I have a used HT-5R which has a really unique sound that I love, and I also tried the ID 260-TVP stereo amp. That one is great too.
                        I think Blackstar puts out a superb amp line. Nothing at all wrong with their products.

Comment

Currently I'd say Epiphone(with SD pickups), Ibanez, and Marshall.
                          Mainly because with my Les Paul (Custom bridge/Slash neck), a TS9, and a DSL, I can play 90% or more of what I want to play.

But variety is one of the things that make this hobby so fun.
                          "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" -Mario Andretti

"Cuz we both know I'm just a lost cause, a wannabe poet with a cheap guitar, begging for applause"

Comment

For guitars, with a name on the headstock - Fender and Gibson mostly. I like the feel of most Deans I've picked up (Z, V and ML styles). But, the ones I play the most and are my favorites are the ones I built/put together myself - a couple Strat styles and a SG Jr.

Amps, Marshall and Vox and if I could afford one, Soldano.

Pedals, I always come back to Boss. Not for everything. I'll take a Whirlwind Orange Box over any phaser.

Strings, I'm an Ernie Ball Slinky guy. Either Regular Slinky or Rock -n- Roll Slinky.

Pickups, Seymour Duncan but I like DiMarzio, Gibson and Lollar pickups too.

Cables, Mogami and Spectraflex. Never had one fail on me ever.

Picks, Dunlop Tortex.

Straps, Ernie Ball Nylon.

Comment

Hands down Fender.

If I could only buy one brand it would be Fender. There is so much to choose from guitars to pickups to amps to accessories. Sure, there are many things by Fender that I have chosen to change/mod, but I’m usually modding with something based off of Fender.

Comment

Here are some of the brands that I've been playing pretty much exclusively for the last few years(or longer) and will probably consistently play for a very long time...

Guitars - PRS. I used to be an Ibanez and ESP/LTD guy, but ever since getting my first PRS I've fallen in love with them.
                                Amps - If it's a high gain tube amp, it's going to be a Peavey 6505+ or an EVH 5150 III. The Duncan Powerstage 170 has been my main amp for the last year or so, though.
                                Pedals - Mostly Boss and Seymour Duncan
                                Strings - D'Addario hands down. I've played nothing but these bad boys for the last 25 years.
                                Pickups - Seymour Duncans in all my guitars. Currently rocking the Black Winters.
                                Cables - LiveWire since they cost almost nothing and I've only had maybe three of them break on me over the years.
                                Picks - I only use Dunlop Jazz III picks. I literally can't play guitar with any other pick.
                                Straps - The EBE Pik Pocket alien head guitar strap from alienpick.com

Comment

Working...
                                X