Pushing the boundaries...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pushing the boundaries...

At this point, pickups for musical instruments have been made for about 100 years. The experimentation is over, and for the most part - the answers have been found. That's all I'm saying. You want the story? Do the research. For God's sake don't start with YouTube. Start with the pioneers - Rickenbacker, etc. Pre-Fender and pre-Gibson. That's where the real story is at.

I didn't say don't experiment. But if you want the real story - it's out there if you do the work.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      At this point, pickups for musical instruments have been made for about 100 years. The experimentation is over, and for the most part - the answers have been found. That's all I'm saying. You want the story? Do the research. For God's sake don't start with YouTube. Start with the pioneers - Rickenbacker, etc. Pre-Fender and pre-Gibson. That's where the real story is at.

I didn't say don't experiment. But if you want the real story - it's out there if you do the work.
      Experimentation is never over. That's why new products come out every year.

See Bareknuckle Pickups. I'm not sure many gave them a chance with their designs but, here they are. I'm not suggesting I'm up to their level but, they found something through these methods.

For the sake of asking - what kind of tone would you look for in a design if you were to have a custom pickup made..?
      Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

The experimentation is over, and for the most part - the answers have been found. That's all I'm saying. You want the story? Do the research. For God's sake don't start with YouTube. Start with the pioneers - Rickenbacker, etc. Pre-Fender and pre-Gibson. That's where the real story is at.
        People have been saying this about everything for the past several centuries.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          People have been saying this about everything for the past several centuries.
          And then, somebody comes up with a game changer. Once again, not saying it's me.

Is there any design that you might like..?

Comment

I mean, guys run multiple amps to fill in the spectrum and make it sound huge. Imagine if you could simultaneously wind a bobbin with say 3 vastly different wire gauges. Would it do the same thing if they all were picking up the strings at the same time.

Comment

At this point, pickups for musical instruments have been made for about 100 years.
              That summed up the history of bikes......all made out of metal. Then carbon fibre comes along and changes the whole ballgame.

One thing for sure, if you think you've reached the end of possible development, you'll enact it by stopping looking.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                I mean, guys run multiple amps to fill in the spectrum and make it sound huge. Imagine if you could simultaneously wind a bobbin with say 3 vastly different wire gauges. Would it do the same thing if they all were picking up the strings at the same time.
                Are you meaning three different gauges on the same bobbin or a tribucker layout.. or a P-Rails type arrangement?

There is a way to work that. Get a single humbucker blade coil and put two strat sized blade coils (or Quad Rails blades) either side of it. That would fit on one humbucker and you'd get a tri-wind. Like blade P-90 with a smaller coil either side - two bar magnets underneath. Not sure if that' been done before.

If it works, the AlexR-bucker

I can do that. The issue would be fixing the bobbins to the base. Hot glue, perhaps.

I can try it out.
                Last edited by DeathMetalRob; 01-21-2020, 03:17 AM.

Comment

The custom "stoner" humbucker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191230_103845.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	5818035

Comment

This seems to be a somewhat innovative design.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Alumitone_HB_CHRM.png
Views:	3
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	5818036

Comment

This seems to be a somewhat innovative design.
                      Don Lace and family are a pretty sharp bunch, I'll grant you. I love their Lace Sensor designs, and the Alumitone was a real head scratcher when it came out. Nothing mainstream about them at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                        I'm English - it's what we do :P
                        Indeed!
                        I am not in the market right now but I will be cheering you on from afar. Wild experiments sometimes lead to amazing discoveries.
                        I have read that Bill Lawrence told Larry Dimarzio to wind a LOT of different pickups just to see what would happen until he could start to predict ahead of time what effect various changes might create. That seems to have worked out pretty well for him...

Comment

The lace Brent hinds claw hammer uses 3 different gauge wire in one pickup.

Comment

Leave it to Lace.

Comment

I remember an old interview with Les Paul... Said he wound a pickup with several turns of lamp cord once. It was the cleanest sounding pickup he'd ever wound, but it had really low output.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                                The lace Brent hinds claw hammer uses 3 different gauge wire in one pickup.
                                Interesting...

Comment

Working...
                                X