• Pushing the boundaries...

So, for the new wire...

.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200119_131445-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	5853330

The moment is having gone too far.

50AWG I have worked with - that's the top wire. The lower is 64AWG - barely visible and almost certainly a step too far..

We shall see...
    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Re: Pushing the boundaries...

This should be interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      This should be interesting!
      The two with the 50 are. One is very raw and nasal though a magnet swap may fix that.

I highly doubt the 64 will be usable but, I will try. There isn't a lot but, I may not need a lot for high resistance.

Comment

^ Why is high resistance your goal???

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          Because he thinks it will make his current design sound better.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
            Because he thinks it will make his current design sound better.
            It isn't either.

It's purely experimental. To see if it can be done, what kind of tone can be achieved.

The 50 I wound is properly thick, heavy and sludgy but, sounds like the tone control is off permanently. Not the correct outcome in short BUT, for those who play stoner metal and don't think too much of clear high end, it'd work.

So, if someone asks me for X amount of Y wire with a Z magnet, I can say, yes that'll be £??? Or, sorry chap, not going to work.
            Last edited by DeathMetalRob; 01-20-2020, 07:23 AM.

Comment

What I have discovered is that high end in a passive diminishes above 200k with a ceramic magnet.

Comment

Two HUNDRED k? Really? Wow, you are an experimenter! I have a bit of admiration for someone who says "this will sound like $#!+. Let's try it and see, shall we?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                  Two HUNDRED k? Really? Wow, you are an experimenter! I have a bit of admiration for someone who says "this will sound like $#!+. Let's try it and see, shall we?"
                  I'm English - it's what we do :P

If one doesn't try to find the limits...

It's not that bad a sound - just not a crisp sound.

I can send you the prototype if you want to try it out.

The other pickup, wound half as much sounds good and clean but with higher gain, a bit like playing a bass through a distortion pedal. A magnet change may fix that, then again, it may not.

But, sounding good, bad or indifferent, it IS possible to make pickups with these gauges.

64AWG, I doubt but, I will try. It's going to be like knitting fog.
                  Last edited by DeathMetalRob; 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Maybe try with different gauges either on the same bobbin, or on different bobbins. Some of the clarity can return with offsets

Comment

Maybe try with different gauges either on the same bobbin, or on different bobbins. Some of the clarity can return with offsets
                      I have done a 'hybrid' wind for a set pickup. It's quite overwound but, does sound pretty nice, in fact.

As to these, the material is what makes the unknown factor here. I have done identical winds on ONE coil with the same gauge wire but, a different material.

One read 131k, the other read 0.261k both had the same amount of turns on it - I'll get them wired up and see what tonal differences there will be.

As long as the wire conducts, you can use any gauge of any conductive material and you will get sound. Not necessarily a good sound (which is what pickups are all about) but, sound.

It would create a 'grid' of where the best tone per material can be found.

For instance:

The world's favourite - the JB is a 16.6k pickup wound from copper.

Material Ohms per circular mil/ft.
                      Copper 10.3
                      Aluminum 15.97
                      Gold 14.14
                      Silver 9.56
                      Platinum 63.82
                      Titanium 252.00
                      Tungsten 33.22

If we can apply the mathematics with figures taken from the SD website about the resistance of other materials we get these figures (assuming the same wire gauge):

JB Copper - 16.6k
                      JB Aluminium - 25.73k
                      JB Gold - 22.78k
                      JB Silver - 15.4k
                      JB Platinum - 102.85k
                      JB Titanium - 406.14k
                      JB Tungsten - 53.54k

What any of these (besides copper) would sound like - not a clue.

But, you can get a guesstimate as to the thickness of tone you might get - even if titanium is just like hearing the guitar from three rooms away...
                      Last edited by DeathMetalRob; 01-20-2020, 07:42 AM.

Comment

You realize this has all been done before, and the norm we have now is the norm for a reason?
                        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          You realize this has all been done before, and the norm we have now is the norm for a reason?
                          I imagine so but, there's either never anybody to ask or nobody knows even if there is somebody to ask.

Ultimately, what sounds good, I will sell. What doesn't sound good, I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            You wouldn't happen to have a list with all that info, would you? So we can look it over and review it?

Thanks,

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
                              You wouldn't happen to have a list with all that info, would you? So we can look it over and review it?

Thanks,

Larry
                              I'm not sure there is one but, I see his point. I'm just not sure how far people actually went to get the full spectrum.

Not only that, if people were to ask me for a custom with crazy specs, rather than be stumped, I could give them an actual price.

Comment

Working...
                              X