Gibson Tal Farlow pickups replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Tal Farlow pickups replacement

Hi everybody, I own a 2015 Gibson Tal Farlow, which mounts two Classic '57. Since I don't just play jazz anymore, I need something more versatile and I'm thinking of changing the pickups, more specifically the neck pickup. I am looking for something that has slightly more open sounds and more high end clarity, but that leaves the warm sound of the instrument intact. Thanks in advance.

Re: Gibson Tal Farlow pickups replacement

Seth Lovers (bright, a bit middier) or a '59 (clear scooped mids with lots of bass and treble) might get you where you want.

I'd actually recommend soldering a 1 meg resistor in parallel with the neck volume pot first though . . . this will give you a volume pot value of around 750k, which is brighter and less mellow that the pickup you've currently got (since that sounds like what you're aiming for), only costs a few minutes of time and a few cents, and requires removing just 1 pot (much simpler when working through f-holes on a hollow guitar). If you hate it you can just snip it out when you decide to swap pickups anyway.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'd put the Antiquity in that Tal, which would sound good for your music now, and if you ever went back to playing jazz, it could do that, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I will definitely look for demos

Comment

Working...
        X