Have you ever tried the StewMac PUs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever tried the StewMac PUs?

I am working on my first ever build from a plain block of wood and wanted to know if anyone had used these?

If you have;
    What did you try?
    Was the quality of the PU good?
    How did it sound?
    Was it comparable to another PU?
    Were they worth the money or should I spend a little more?

I’m not going for a specific sound, just a humbucker. Curious to see if anyone has tried them on here.

Re: Have you ever tried the StewMac PUs?

with the price of duncans on the used market, id go for those over a stew mac pup

Comment

+1 on what Jeremy said. Keep an eye on Reverb and eBay as well as the for sale page here. If your patient you’ll bump into a killer deal. To me, hunting down the various parts and pieces I’m looking for is a good amount of the fun when doing a build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I used a Golden Age humbucker in the neck position of my first scratch-built guitar. It was fine, had good sustain and overall sound, but after I bought it I realized it was an import pickup. In my mind that put it on par with a GFS or GM pickup only priced higher. I replaced it when I decided to go for cream pickups and did not keep it since it did not dazzle me.
        I would either buy cheaper OR spend a bit more for Dimarzio & Duncan. That's what my guitar ended up with eventually. (I say "eventually" because I changed the neck pickup three or four times & bridge four or five times getting everything "just right." It was s great education in how much pickups do and don't change the sound of a guitar. Went through some Carvin, Duncan, Wilde/Lawrence, and Dimarzios. Sold each one as it was replaced. No regrets.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
          I used a Golden Age humbucker in the neck position of my first scratch-built guitar. It was fine, had good sustain and overall sound, but after I bought it I realized it was an import pickup. In my mind that put it on par with a GFS or GM pickup only priced higher. I replaced it when I decided to go for cream pickups and did not keep it since it did not dazzle me.
          I would either buy cheaper OR spend a bit more for Dimarzio & Duncan. That's what my guitar ended up with eventually. (I say "eventually" because I changed the neck pickup three or four times & bridge four or five times getting everything "just right." It was s great education in how much pickups do and don't change the sound of a guitar. Went through some Carvin, Duncan, Wilde/Lawrence, and Dimarzios. Sold each one as it was replaced. No regrets.)

That’s sad to hear that they don’t make their own pickups. I was hoping that they were making them. I’ll be going with a Duncan Set knowing that I would be paying 50 for an import pickup that’s the same as any other 20 pickup.

Comment

^ Well, you can't assume every import pickup is identical.......I mean is every USA pickup identical.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
              ^ Well, you can't assume every import pickup is identical.......I mean is every USA pickup identical.
              Not identical, but probably on the same level in terms of value (as opposed to price).

Comment

For example, Guild's pickups nowadays are also imported from Korea and they are not cheap.

But for 95 bucks I would expect a pickup that sounds great. Not decent (like this) but really, great. For example, I got me this set:

and this p90 set is by far the best p90 I have ever heard in my life. Ever.

Better made, better tone, better price. My point is that import for a premium price is weird and doesn't automatically mean it's great.

Comment

Working...
                X