Thread: Have you ever tried the StewMac PUs?

Default Have you ever tried the StewMac PUs?

I am working on my first ever build from a plain block of wood and wanted to know if anyone had used these?

If you have;
    What did you try?
    Was the quality of the PU good?
    How did it sound?
    Was it comparable to another PU?
    Were they worth the money or should I spend a little more?

Iím not going for a specific sound, just a humbucker. Curious to see if anyone has tried them on here.

Default Re: Have you ever tried the StewMac PUs?

with the price of duncans on the used market, id go for those over a stew mac pup

+1 on what Jeremy said. Keep an eye on Reverb and eBay as well as the for sale page here. If your patient youíll bump into a killer deal. To me, hunting down the various parts and pieces Iím looking for is a good amount of the fun when doing a build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

I used a Golden Age humbucker in the neck position of my first scratch-built guitar. It was fine, had good sustain and overall sound, but after I bought it I realized it was an import pickup. In my mind that put it on par with a GFS or GM pickup only priced higher. I replaced it when I decided to go for cream pickups and did not keep it since it did not dazzle me.
    I would either buy cheaper OR spend a bit more for Dimarzio & Duncan. That's what my guitar ended up with eventually. (I say "eventually" because I changed the neck pickup three or four times & bridge four or five times getting everything "just right." It was s great education in how much pickups do and don't change the sound of a guitar. Went through some Carvin, Duncan, Wilde/Lawrence, and Dimarzios. Sold each one as it was replaced. No regrets.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Locher View Post
    I used a Golden Age humbucker in the neck position of my first scratch-built guitar. It was fine, had good sustain and overall sound, but after I bought it I realized it was an import pickup. In my mind that put it on par with a GFS or GM pickup only priced higher. I replaced it when I decided to go for cream pickups and did not keep it since it did not dazzle me.
    I would either buy cheaper OR spend a bit more for Dimarzio & Duncan. That's what my guitar ended up with eventually. (I say "eventually" because I changed the neck pickup three or four times & bridge four or five times getting everything "just right." It was s great education in how much pickups do and don't change the sound of a guitar. Went through some Carvin, Duncan, Wilde/Lawrence, and Dimarzios. Sold each one as it was replaced. No regrets.)

Thatís sad to hear that they donít make their own pickups. I was hoping that they were making them. Iíll be going with a Duncan Set knowing that I would be paying 50 for an import pickup thatís the same as any other 20 pickup.

Mojo's Minions

^ Well, you can't assume every import pickup is identical.......I mean is every USA pickup identical.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
    ^ Well, you can't assume every import pickup is identical.......I mean is every USA pickup identical.
    Not identical, but probably on the same level in terms of value (as opposed to price).

Mojo's Minions

For example, Guild's pickups nowadays are also imported from Korea and they are not cheap.

https://shop.guildguitars.com/produc...v=e71bc9c013d9

But for 95 bucks I would expect a pickup that sounds great. Not decent (like this) but really, great. For example, I got me this set:

https://www.axesrus.co.uk/Axesrus-Ea...0-early50s.htm

and this p90 set is by far the best p90 I have ever heard in my life. Ever.

Better made, better tone, better price. My point is that import for a premium price is weird and doesn't automatically mean it's great.