banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are neck pickups brighter than bridge pickups of the same design ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are neck pickups brighter than bridge pickups of the same design ?

If you have two of the same kinds of pickups like a Duncan Distortion neck and bridge , is the neck pickup wound brighter to balance the tone out with the bridge pickup ?

Re: Are neck pickups brighter than bridge pickups of the same design ?

in general, yes. the sh6n is a brighter pup than the sh6b when used in the same position.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      in general, yes. the sh6n is a brighter pup than the sh6b when used in the same position.
      Thank You , that confirms what I was hearing today in my LP pickup swap .
      Bought a bridge DD for my LP and the dealer sent me a neck DD and right away I was hearing a much brighter tone than I thought was normal for a bridge DD that I have used in the past .
      When I received it I was excited and installed it right away not thinking , I did'nt realize it was the neck pickup until I wired it up and measured the output .
      I went ahead and jammed on it to see what it would sound like since it was already in the guitar , harmonics from hell but also overly bright so that got me curious to ask the question .
      Will be sending it back Monday asap for a proper bridge DD and try it again , lol .
      Last edited by JB6464; 01-19-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Just FYI, the SH-6 neck model was originally a separate bridge pickup, the SH-7 Seymourizer.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
          Just FYI, the SH-6 neck model was originally a separate bridge pickup, the SH-7 Seymourizer.
          Thanks , learn something new everyday .

Comment

Even when the neck & bridge designs are essentially the same (as with vintage output pickups), in a modern matched set the neck usually will be wound lighter than the bridge.

This is due to the physics of a vibrating string - there's less amplitude near the end and more as you move along closer to the center, where it's greatest.

But winding for less output normally results in a brighter tone also, so this works to our advantage in two different ways for neck position.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

In calibrated sets, yes. All other things being equal, the neck pickup in the set is made in such a way that it is a brighter sounding pickup in a vacuum. However, in the real world, "all other things" are not equal, because each pickup in the calibrated set is installed in a different position.

All it really means is that if you were to install the Distortion Neck in the bridge position, it would be brighter than the Distortion Bridge in the bridge position. It doesn't mean that a Distortion Neck in the neck position is brighter than a Distortion Bridge in the bridge position.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I have not compared but I would assume they are because less winds seems to provide less out but but more top end (or less mids?). I think that is a good thing to avoid muddy neck sound, but if you put a SD neck pickup in the bridge be ready to have a significant drop in volume. Once I tried to put a Jazz neck in the bridge of my strat, it was like listening to it far away.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Working...
                X