banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well it finally happened. Dropped a guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it finally happened. Dropped a guitar.

I dropped a guitar!
    My Dean Tyrant bloodstorm......

Never happened in 30 years of playing!
    (One time I was hammered drunk and flailing around in the garage and fell down.... Scratched 1 on the tip, but I saved it pretty well)
    (And one time I came home and the cable installation guy had knocked my Gibson V onto it's face..but that was carpet and it didn't hurt anything)

Installing Straplocks before I even plug the things in has helped a lot.

Tonight I Was in and out of the garage working a new riff.
    Set it down on the stand and it slipped and fell sideways onto the concrete!

All I could do was scream NOOOOO!!! as I grasped at it.

I could blame it on the half bottle of whiskey or the back spasms I've endured today.... Truth is I was just sloppy.

I guess accidents happen. (The other side had a dinger in it when I bought it)

Put a dinger in the V headstock and a small finish crack at the neck line. (Set neck)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200119_174231475_compress38.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	5853346 no
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 01-19-2020, 08:03 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Well it finally happened. Dropped a guitar.

Did it stay in tune? Keep playing.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I hate it when that happens.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

first time in 30 years? Wow. you were due.

You had a good run!
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I've had guitars fall out of straps and have never used straplocks and I usually am reflexive enough to grab the neck hard and keep the whole guitar from hitting the floor. more than a shot or two and my reaction time is slow enough that I wont catch it.
          sorry to see that gouge, but after the first ding I and other feel that any subsequent dings just add more character. Its the big first one that hurts. So I guess that's your "garage drinking" guitar now, hope it never receives structural damage. or get straplocks.

Comment

I was just sick when I dropped my first "nice" guitar [American Strat]. Like over 30 years ago I think? Only put one ding in it, no structural damage, but it did not have a scratch on it yet then so I was bummed. As I have gotten older, I have strove to make better music with cheaper guitars, better pups, though I still play a Beck Strat out of the house when I can? If I could have Fender Custom build me a Strat, it would be just like the Beck [perhaps different pups but Beck's Vintage Noiseless are fine for what I play]. Just leave all the expensive ones I thought I needed early on at home now. Oh I still play them. Just can't take them anywhere . . .

Sorry for your boo boos!
            Last edited by canon_mutant; 01-19-2020, 11:42 PM.
            Carvin 200T, CS6 Flamed KOA w/Floyd, TL60T Flamed Walnut
            Gibson Lifeson White ES-355 and Crimson Red Axcess Les Paul both AL-230
            Gibson 1 of 25 50th R9 Cognacburst
            Epiphone Tribute Plus Les Paul and Dot 335
            Fender AM Deluxe [Beck] Strat
            Godin LGXT and P90 Core and Montreal Premier
            Hagstrom Super Swede Tri-P90S
            Egnater Renegade and Cabinet

Comment

Relic'd. Plus 3000 USD in worth.

Comment

Staplocks ARE your friend.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Staplocks ARE your friend.
                  Well, it does nothing against slipping from a stand, as it happened in this case...

Comment

Upon further thought, 80sMetal is always posting all the booze he's drinking even on the day of this accident

So 30 years + nightly jamming + admirable drinking hobby = 1 guitar drop (and only a dinger and no neck break?)

It might be a world record.

Congrats!
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Way back when I started playing guitar I hated putting my Epi Dot in it's case every time I was done using it . . . so was leaning it against the wall in the corner of my dorm room for several weeks. Until one time I didn't lean it quite enough and I turned around from the other side of the room to see it slowly fall face down with a loud crashing sound. Everything ended up OK, but I went out and bought a guitar stand that day. :P
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                        Well, it does nothing against slipping from a stand, as it happened in this case...
                        You're right. But he DID mention that he dropped it while playing once.
                        Last edited by GuitarDoc; 01-20-2020, 09:36 AM.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          Upon further thought, 80sMetal is always posting all the booze he's drinking even on the day of this accident

So 30 years + nightly jamming + admirable drinking hobby = 1 guitar drop (and only a dinger and no neck break?)

It might be a world record.

Congrats!
                          I always try to avoid DUI or rather GUI. I don't even go near the corner of the flat where I keep my guitars when I'm F'd up, that way the thought of playing one of them won't even cross my mind...

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                            You're right. But he DID mention that he dropped it while playing once.
                            Sorry Doc, I just had to seize the rare chance to point out that you're not completely right.

Comment

Well.... I just want to clear it all up ha ha ha
                              I have never really "dropped" a guitar.

I always use Straploks they go on the guitar before I even pick it up and play it once.

This one fell off the stand.

The one that got scratched on the rear tip before was because I fell down, was doing an anthrax mosh kind of thing and I slipped and fell straight on my butt.... Never dropped the guitar, held it up quite well in fact.... But it did touch and get scratched. (Dean Dime O Flame) I sold that one to Lucid a long time ago.

But ya.... All the sloppy drunk wailing around over the years.... I'm surprised I haven't dropped one yet.

Who's giving me the award? Can't wait! Ha ha ha.

Ahem.... I'd like to thank the academy, and all those guys in Tennessee and Kentucky who know what they're doing!
                              And all my fans... You 2 guys are awesome!
                              Last edited by 80's_Metal; 01-20-2020, 01:44 PM.
                              Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Working...
                              X