Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBJ vs JB

Hi!
    I read that JBJ (JB 80s era) and JB is different pickup.
    Supposedly JBJ has Alnico 5, but is roughcast, is this true?
    So Antiquity JB an 35th is like 80's era JB? Has it roughcast A5?
    Is that the only one difference?
    I prefer Antiquity and 35th because standard JB is more Icepicky and has unpleasant sizzle high treble freq
    Last edited by CarlosG; 01-21-2020, 01:11 PM.

Re: JBJ vs JB

JBJ is a JB where the winder loading the machine was Maricela Juarez. There are lots of other winders during this period with other initials as the third letter, and the pickups will be essentially the same despite internet lore.

If you are talking specs of the old one vs new, then I think there might be something actual in that. It must be more than just a roughcast mag though......the differences between rough and polished mags of the same type are only subtle.

Comment

I think that over the years, small things about construction changed. If I had heard them back-to-back in the same guitar, I don't know if I'd be able to pick out the older one.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Oh here we go, another JBJ thread. Yes, the JBJ is a great sounding pickup however, I had a JB-M from the same era in a Les paul and it sounded incredible.

From what I can gather from previous JBJ threads, the rough-cast mag ended in the mid-80s sometime. YES the roughcast mag DOES have a different tone/breakup to it I can attest to that but is it that much different, hard to say. I do agree though that modern JB's sound dull and muted.
        Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
        Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

The magnets and specs will be the same within tolerances no matter who wound it. As far as have the specs changed over the years, it's possible.

Comment

Just read that Adam Jones seeks out 90s super distortions. People always assumed he used JB's. Maybe there's something to this whole vintage duncan thing. I know manufacturing processes change, but also can a duncan pup change in tone after 30 years?

Comment

Originally posted by rainsong86 View Post
              Just read that Adam Jones seeks out 90s super distortions. People always assumed he used JB's. Maybe there's something to this whole vintage duncan thing. I know manufacturing processes change, but also can a duncan pup change in tone after 30 years?
              It can, if it lost magnetism, I suppose. It could change if there were significant changes to the design over the years.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

So does the Antiquity JB they sell today have the Roughcast A5 magnet in it and then degaussed ?

Comment

so is the modern jb dull and muted or ice picky with an unpleasant high end sizzle?

the antiquity jb has an aged rca5 magnet

Comment

The Antiquity JB is designed to recreate the very first "The JB Model" labeled pickups from approximately 1977-82 and to make them sound "as they would today" after years of age and use. They use roughcast A5 mags that are degaussed to reduce the output slightly and have a softer, more open tone than the regular production JB.

As far as JB vs JBJ, let's get something straight..."JBJ" does NOT mean roughcast magnets.

The formal era of roughcast magnets came to an end around the time logo-stamped baseplates were introduced in 1983. The "JBJ" moniker was put to use around that time (1982-83), as well, following the move to shorter paper labels. While some leftover roughcast mags trickled into the logo-stamped baseplate era, 99.9% of all "JBJ" pickups you will find (and, yes, the ones played by your favorite guitar heroes of the 1980s) have polished mags.

Comment

Working...
                    X