Little 59' for a Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little 59' for a Les Paul

Kind of confused with the Little 59'. I have that pickup in my ash-bodied maple-necked telecaster and the thing just kills with this certain amp I've been gigging out with. I'd really like to get the same results with two Les Pauls I have but am seeing that standard 59' humbucker and the Little 59' are different beasts. The Little 59' has more resistance and is listed as medium output. The standard 59' full-sized humbucker is listed as being "vintage" and has much less resistance, nearly half, as the Little 59'.

So, what would the equivalent of the Little 59' for telecaster be in a full-sized humbucker?

Re: Little 59' for a Les Paul

The little '59 doesn't sound the same as the big '59. The big one has more bass and mids, and sounds more like a humbucker. If you really want the same sound, why not get some of those plastic humbucker conversion rings and put the little '59 into your Les Paul? Then you get exactly what you're looking for.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      The little '59 doesn't sound the same as the big '59. The big one has more bass and mids, and sounds more like a humbucker. If you really want the same sound, why not get some of those plastic humbucker conversion rings and put the little '59 into your Les Paul? Then you get exactly what you're looking for.
      All things being equal there has to be a less hackneyed version of accomplishing this than buying conversion hardware.....

With the full range of humbuckers in the world and in the Seymour Duncan line certainly something exists that's a more elegant solution.

Comment

No, no full size hb sounds like a little hb. You have to either get something similar like a Demon or stick 1 or 2 little hbs in the bridge of ur LP.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          No, no full size hb sounds like a little hb. You have to either get something similar like a Demon or stick 1 or 2 little hbs in the bridge of ur LP.
          See, that's what I'm looking for....the Little 59' is like the Demon? Yes?

Comment

the lil buckers are quite different than their big brothers.
            the lil 59 is way more middy and round than the SH-1 59.
            for me it's the opposite: i hated the lil 59 (to compressed and middy) in my tele but dig the full sized 59 in general(scooped with bright highs and deep bass).

the higher DCR is due to the thinner wire used by the lil buckers and does not equal output.

this thread is a most read for you:
            "Lil59 in a full size humbucker?"
            Last edited by ToneFiddler; 01-21-2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LowBudgetViking View Post
              That would be my best guess. Medium output, scooped wind, then the pole set up adds some grit. Of course there could be other options, but those are the parameters that I'd compare.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 01-21-2020, 02:58 PM.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

no absolutly not!
                the lil 59 is more like the alnico 2 pro
                Last edited by ToneFiddler; 01-21-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

The little '59 doesn't sound the same as the big '59.
                  agreed
                  The big one has more bass and mids, ...
                  don't agree
                  i would say its the other way round. the sh-1 is rather scooped.
                  lil59 has stuffed mids

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                    the lil buckers are quite different than their big brothers.
                    the lil 59 is way more middy and round than the SH-1 59.
                    for me it's the opposite: i hated the lil 59 (to compressed and middy) in my tele but dig the full sized 59 in general(scooped with bright highs and deep bass).

the higher DCR is due to the thinner wire used by the lil buckers and does not equal output.

this thread is a most read for you:
                    "Lil59 in a full size humbucker?"
                    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...size-humbucker
                    Interesting thread. Lots of info there! The recommendations seem to be for the Alico Pro II.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
                      agreed

don't agree
                      i would say its the other way round. the sh-1 is rather scooped.
                      lil59 has stuffed mids
                      The little one sounded brighter (highs and upper mids) and the big one darker (lows and lower mids) to me. As always though, YMMV.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah, you can't compare output using DCR of 2 very differently-constructed pickups. While the Little 59 is about as good as a representation of the 59 as you will get with the very different design, the opposite is true: there isn't a full size humbucker that can replicate any of the little humbuckers, either.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The little one sounded brighter (highs and upper mids) and the big one darker (lows and lower mids) to me. As always though, YMMV.
                          that might be true! more upper mids of the lil 59 vs more low mids of the fullsize 59. with my vintage 30s speakers the (upper) mids of the lil are too much. so my perception of mid amount is distorted.
                          One of these days i'll get another cab with a different kind of speaker.

Comment

Interesting thread. Lots of info there! The recommendations seem to be for the Alico Pro II.

Thanks for your help!
                            Glad i could help

Comment

If you want a Little more output but in the same vein the pearly gates plus used in some fenders is more like an slightly hotter 59. It’s an A5 mag instead of the A2 of the regular pearly, and has about 9k output. It probably not as middy as the little one but it’s a great pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X