banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini Humbuckers In 98 Gibson LP Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Humbuckers In 98 Gibson LP Special?

Wondering is anyone has or currently uses mini humbuckers in their Gibson les Paul Special? My 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special currently has a Dimarzio p90 super distortion in the bridge and stock Gibson p100 in the neck. Playing rock/classic rock/hair metal covers in a cover band tuned to standard E.
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Re: Mini Humbuckers In 98 Gibson LP Special?

I've got a pair of NY minis in a classic Wilshire. Sounds amazing.
    To my ears the mini sounds brighter and cleaner than a full sized bucker and it sounds a bit fuller than most P-90s.
    Plus with minis, you have some more switching options like split coil matching with bridge and neck.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

a buddy of mine has antiquity minis in his lp deluxe and it sounds great. no splitting but the neck is nice and clear and warm and the bridge cuts through great. he plugs straight into an old fender pro reverb and the tone is delightful.

Comment

Minis are nice pickups.....a bit more subtle than a full size humbucker for the same type of wind, and glorious in the neck slot especially.

They will require some investigation regarding the current mounting you have for your existing pickups. Minis mount and adjust in a different/unique way.

Comment

Absolutely love them. As mentioned before, they fit in between p90 roar and firebird treble and those are the three neck pups that we recommend most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
          What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by Charvel1975 View Post
            Wondering is anyone has or currently uses mini humbuckers in their Gibson les Paul Special? My 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special currently has a Dimarzio p90 super distortion in the bridge and stock Gibson p100 in the neck. Playing rock/classic rock/hair metal covers in a cover band tuned to standard E.
            I replaced the bridge pickup in my Kauer Banshee with a Rio Grande Baby BBQ bucker and it works really well for more aggressive rock tones.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              I replaced the bridge pickup in my Kauer Banshee with a Rio Grande Baby BBQ bucker and it works really well for more aggressive rock tones.
              I saw those online too, are they quiet as far as Hum/Buzz and do they also make a neck position model too?
              Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
              Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
              Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
              2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
              1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
              Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
              Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
              Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

Comment

I love them minis on my 76 Gibson Deluxe. For more:

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                X