banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody use a set of the SNS's in a semi hollow body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody use a set of the SNS's in a semi hollow body?

Have a set incoming and trying to make a decision on where it's going.
    Choice is my ST 300 Carvin super Strat with a Floyd or the AE 185 semi hollow with the acoustic bridge.
    If the set goes to the AE the Sentient neck and a Alt 8 will go to the St 300.
    Looking for a brighter less compressed clearer tone in the AE and have a Hybrid/ Sentient set in it now.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-22-2020, 09:27 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: Anybody use a set of the SNS's in a semi hollow body?

i havent tried it but i bet the sns would sound good in the ae

Comment

My take would be an A4-shortN/A4longB-modded Seth Lover set.

Sublime tone on semi-hollows.

/Peter
      Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
      Kolding, Denmark

Comment

he already has the sns coming

Comment

The AE185 is a neck-though. Personally I wouldn't think of it as a conventional semi-hollow. It seems more like a Fender Thinline than a Gibson 335. Anyway your pickup swapping plans sound pretty good to me. I expect the SNS set will be awesome in that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Teleplayer View Post
            The AE185 is a neck-though. Personally I wouldn't think of it as a conventional semi-hollow. It seems more like a Fender Thinline than a Gibson 335. Anyway your pickup swapping plans sound pretty good to me. I expect the SNS set will be awesome in that guitar.
            Would seem so but in reality the guitar sounds more like a 335 than a Thinline because of the acoustic bridge and how it's chambered under it. Owned a 72 Thinline semi hollow with the wide-range humbuckers years ago BTW.
            Have a Sentient and Hybrid in it now and it's not bad but is darker and more compressed than I expected. Hope the lower output A4 SNS set will bring some clarity and sparkle to her. The Hybrid /Sentient set will likely find a home in my Carvin ST 300 to replace the Dimarzio Gravity Storm/ PAF Joe set in it now. It's just to different from anything else I have way to dark and compressed for what I do in that guitar. Great smooth liquid Santana like solo tones with the Dimarzios but other wise just struggling to bond with the overall tone. Struggle with most Dimarzios seems like it's a feel thing and know I will be able to work with the Sentient/Hybrid set in that guitar.
            Here the AE is in the mix as it is and if you really listen you can hear that hollow body resonance in the tone.
            Last edited by Ascension; 01-23-2020, 03:24 AM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I have the SNS set in my S2 single cut semi. It's the only guitar I've liked them in. A bit flat to my ear, but very usable. It should certainly be less compressed than what you have in there now.
              Last edited by chadd; 01-23-2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that as the S2 SCS I'm familiar with and the basic tones of the 2 guitars are pretty similar so that helped.
                What was your gripe tone wise with the SNS set in a solid body? Most of the clips I'm hearing I like so--?
                Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                  Thanks for that as the S2 SCS I'm familiar with and the basic tones of the 2 guitars are pretty similar so that helped.
                  What was your gripe tone wise with the SNS set in a solid body? Most of the clips I'm hearing I like so--?
                  I found them to be bland and flat. A little light in the low end and no sparkle on the highs. They work fine in my Drop D guitar, since we are already a half step down. They don't get too tubby in the low end and don't drive the front end too hard for the fuzz or mid gain tones I need.

Comment

compared to a5, a4 is lighter in the low end and less sparkly in the highs. i like a4 for somethings very much

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      compared to a5, a4 is lighter in the low end and less sparkly in the highs. i like a4 for somethings very much
                      Yep have an A4 in the 59 in the neck of my 95 Washburn USA MG 102. Very clear balanced and defined tone and is why I was so interested in trying the SNS set! Still waffling between the ST 300 or the AE as a home for the set and it arrives tomorrow.
                      Kinda want in some ways to wait and then drop a Psyclone set in the AE but the price just keeps going up on the set! Started at $239 is now listed at $279 so??
                      Last edited by Ascension; 01-24-2020, 06:11 PM.
                      Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        I'm usually an A2 guy, the A4 and the wind overall (I tried almost everything else in there) just left me wanting. They aren't bad pickups, just not my bag.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                          I'm usually an A2 guy, the A4 and the wind overall (I tried almost everything else in there) just left me wanting. They aren't bad pickups, just not my bag.
                          Can understand that. Have mostly A 5 or A 8 in the bridge on my guitars. Looking for a milder more balanced high fi tone in what ever guitar I drop these in for what I'm doing.
                          Playing a lot of stuff like this and think the SNS set would work pretty well in the ST 300 in particular for this.

Keep thinking about that peeved off filtertron tone on steroids with a set of Psyclone HB's for the AE so---.
                          Last edited by Ascension; 01-24-2020, 06:58 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

im an a2 bucker guy too, although i do like a3 in the neck sometimes. i have a set of sns and the a4 isnt bad at all, i like it, i do miss the chewy mids of a2 though so may end up swapping mags. i keep planning on swapping but then play it and it sounds good so talk myself out of it.

Comment

Just hope I get a chance to find out soon about them USPS seems to have had a "problem" of some type as they were supposed to have been here yesterday. Tracking shows they went to Richmond on the 22 left and ??
                              Ye haw!

Tracking History
                              January 24, 2020
                              In Transit to Next Facility
                              Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
                              January 22, 2020, 5:54 pm
                              Departed Post Office
                              RICHMOND, VA 23235
                              January 22, 2020, 9:07 am
                              USPS in possession of item
                              RICHMOND, VA 23235
                              January 21, 2020
                              Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS, USPS Awaiting Item
                              Guitars

Comment

Working...
                              X