Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P-Rails Wiring Question

Hi All,

I am in the process of building an oil can guitar (will post some pics later) and wanted some advice on pickup wiring, for the following configuration:

Single Humbucker (P-Rail Bridge)
    3 Way Blade (North/Parallel/South)
    1 Vol
    1 Tone (Series Pull)

I have found a wiring diagram for this config with x2 single coils (Tele setup), but wanted to make sure it would work with the P-Rail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Series Pull-Up.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	5853362

If I'm right (which I'm probably not), the Tele Neck pickup would be replaced with the Black (North Start) and White (North Finish) wires and the Tele Bridge with the Green (South Start) & Red (South Finish), with the bare wire connected to the Green(?)

I would be extremely grateful for your advice and (ideally) wiring diagram.
    Please Note: My 3 Way blade is a cheapo aftermarket version with the lugs numbered 1-8 in a line along the one side.

Many Thanks
    Last edited by Spikeybrummy; 01-22-2020, 12:03 PM.

Re: P-Rails Wiring Question

with the cheap switches make sure your blade switch has two poles.

to do this set the multimeter to continiuity and
    de-solder all the wires on the switch
    place one multimeter lead on 1
    place the other multimeter lead on 5 (second common)

best case scenario - no beep ensuring you've got a lot more freedom
    worst case scenario - a beep and this really limits your wiring options
    usually import switches can be great as they don't affect your tone. As the pickups, pots and capacitor are the ones doing all the world. But there are some really cheap import ones that only have one pole so no 1950s fender broadcaster wiring, no dan armstrong wiring and so forth.

I'm thinking the 1950s single pickup esquire wiring would work for the P-rail is a good place to start. To add in the single coil with a push pull will take a bit of creativity. Perhaps a tone control that turns into a blend that only works in the coilsplit position to avoid any potential complications?

and to convert the switch. Notice how half the switch is blue and half is red
    Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-22-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info shadowfire90.
      Thankfully my cheapo blade switch has two poles, so I'm safe there. I have mapped out the lugs and have wired it up to the pots, as per my original post, ready for confirmation of the P-rails wiring.

Comment

your best bet is doing 1950s esquire wiring because the portion to focus on either coil as well as parallel with a standard 3 way blade is impossible. The only blade switch that has a chance at doing that is a "Göldo’Double Wafer 3-Way Switch" I saw an article about them on premier guitar a while back. It's a super 3 way blade. Or a 4PDT switch which I've only seen in toggle switch form on Ibanez guitars. Pretty overpriced too.

if you go with a super 5 way blade you can get
        series
        P90 side of the P-rail
        rail side of the P-rail
        parallel
        series out of phase

and still have volume and tone controls that's an option if your heart is set on a blade switch and 2 pots to add a tone control any other wiring diagram will help. Below is the diagram. The owner of the site is all territorial like ohhh don't post my diagrams without permission. Where as I hope my stuff I draw goes from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
        Guitar wiring diagram with one humbucker and one volume control with a 5-position lever style Super switch switch that selects 5 different sounds: 1.series in-phase 2.North coil 3.parallel in-phase 4.South coil 5.series reverse-phase. Click diagram image to open/view full size version.   Ready to get started? Don't forget the Wire, Solder, Shielding & Supplies. Copyright© GuitarElectronics.com LLC. Unauthorized replication is prohibited.

to add a tone control to this. Modern or 50s style.
        Last edited by shadowfire90; 01-23-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeybrummy View Post
          Hi All,

I am in the process of building an oil can guitar (will post some pics later) and wanted some advice on pickup wiring, for the following configuration:

Single Humbucker (P-Rail Bridge)
          3 Way Blade (North/Parallel/South)
          1 Vol
          1 Tone (Series Pull)

I have found a wiring diagram for this config with x2 single coils (Tele setup), but wanted to make sure it would work with the P-Rail.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]102932[/ATTACH]

If I'm right (which I'm probably not), the Tele Neck pickup would be replaced with the Black (North Start) and White (North Finish) wires and the Tele Bridge with the Green (South Start) & Red (South Finish), with the bare wire connected to the Green(?)

I would be extremely grateful for your advice and (ideally) wiring diagram.
          Please Note: My 3 Way blade is a cheapo aftermarket version with the lugs numbered 1-8 in a line along the one side.

Many Thanks
          Back to your original question, yes, your translation of the two pickups in the diagram to the two coils of the P-Rail pickup are correct, and so also yes, you should be able to wire the P-Rail up like in this diagram with a 3-way switch.

Please post a pic of your import switch to help us identify it -so we can then determine how its internal contacts work, and translate it to the 3 way switch in the diagram.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 01-24-2020, 12:31 PM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
            Back to your original question, yes, your translation of the two pickups in the diagram to the two coils of the P-Rail pickup are correct, and so also yes, you should be able to wire the P-Rail up like in this diagram with a 3-way switch.

Please post a pic of your import switch to help us identify it -so we can then determine how its internal contacts work, and translate it to the 3 way switch in the diagram.
            Thanks kingswebe

This is my 3 way switch

Name:	3 way import switch.jpg
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	5818104
            Last edited by Spikeybrummy; 01-29-2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spikeybrummy View Post
              Thanks kingswebe

This is my 3 way switch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103073[/ATTACH]
              Ok, in the 1st of the two attached pics, i have marked with Red colored hashes, the type of switch that is in the wiring diagram you posted, and the type of switch you own. The labeling of the lugs will allow you to translate between the two types of switches.

In the 2nd pic, i have marked the two lugs of the switch in the diagram that are the two commons (A0 & B0) which should be enough for you to complete the translation.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Name:	20200202_134636.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5818137

Name:	20200202_191723.jpg
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	5818138
              Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-02-2020, 06:47 PM.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks kingswebe,
                That confirms what I had thought. I'll get on and wire the pickup in and will post some photos/videos.

Comment

Working...
                X