Clear All

• NGD: Gretsch Electromatic Jet Club.

Web pic, since my photography skills suck:

Click image for larger version

Name:	G5426_Jet_Club_Electromatic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	5853376

My wonderful wife got my hint, and got this for me for Christmas. I originally wanted the red, but fell in love with the silver as soon as I saw it in real life. The pics don't do it justice. Surprisingly solid feel and workmanship for one of Gretsch's least expensive guitars. I love this thing. My luthier friend found one slightly high fret higher up where I don't play much. One of the reasons I wanted one of these is to try the Duncan Psyclones, but the stock pups sound great. It will be hard to justify replacing them. (But I probably will.)

I'll try to get a "real" pic up a little later.

Re: NGD: Gretsch Electromatic Jet Club.

Well, that one's a keeper (I mean the wife)! Look forward to your experience with the Psyclones, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Just gotta decide between Vintage or Hot. (I mean the pups.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        I was seriously impressed when I tried one in-store - impressed enough to buy one! Good craftsmanship and construction, decent hardware and apart from tiny niggles, a seriously decent guitar for less than $500. In fact it's cheapest in my collection, but really holds its own.

But the main reason I bought it are the pickups. I know they're not SDs or even USA made, but they've got good bottom, a slight twang but still full treble, and girthy mids. Really cuts in my setup. Was really pleasantly surprised!
        'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

In my opinion, if someone walks into a Guitar store and wants to purchase an import sub $500.00 guitar -the Gretsch Electromatic/Streamliner etc etc are the best value of any brand. The workmanship is typically great, the features and looks are excellent, the body and neck contouring and profiling are excellent, and the they sound fantastic -those import hot filtertrons are great and still breathy like a tradition filtertron.

My buddy left the 350.00 tag on his when he plays live so that after the show when people come up to compliment him on the tones and look of the guitar -he can surprise them with the tag.

Nice acquisition.
          Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-23-2020, 02:35 PM.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks. And yes, the pups sound great. I'm going to keep them for awhile.

Comment

Thanks. And yes, the pups sound great. I'm going to keep them for awhile.
              I've A/B's the pickups to my regular vintage 6120

They are higher gain (for slightly more modern sound), a little less clean of course, but still retain that amazing breathy Filtertron spank that makes single notes sound like a chorus of tone in a desert canyon

Gretsch is doing a great job.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                . . . that makes single notes sound like a chorus of tone in a desert canyon

Gretsch is doing a great job.
                Funny you should mention that. Something about these pups begs for a teeny touch of chorus, or phaser. Just a tiny smidgen, really brings some air and depth to the sound. Think, rockabilly meets pink Cadillac.

Comment

Played one at GC last week. Sounded great - played great!

Comment

I'm reviving this thread instead of starting new one. This is about the Psyclones. These are amazing. The neck is warm, with clarity, and with NO mud. The bridge is bright and clear, with NO ice-pickyness. When you guys are searching for your perfect LP pup's, these are them. Them are these. Whatever. Check 'em out.

Comment

I'm reviving this thread instead of starting new one. This is about the Psyclones. These are amazing. The neck is warm, with clarity, and with NO mud. The bridge is bright and clear, with NO ice-pickyness. When you guys are searching for your perfect LP pup's, these are them. Them are these. Whatever. Check 'em out.
                      Good to know. I haven't tried them yet.

Comment

Great guitar Artie I would love to see a real pic of the finish.

I replaced the vintage with hot (I mean the new wife)

Comment

I love my Duo Jet. Even with the stock pups. Of the over 50 guitars that I currently own, my wife says this is her favorite sounding one. She is an amazing singer/songwriter/composer/arranger, so her opinion really means a lot.
                          I haven't tried or even heard the Psyclones, but your description makes them sound like the perfect pups. I'm gonna have to look into them.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I never gave Gretsch much of a thought as a brand. I never liked the way they looked, I guess. But I will have to seek a few out to try- now I am curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I never gave Gretsch much of a thought as a brand. I never liked the way they looked, I guess. But I will have to seek a few out to try- now I am curious.
                              Yeah, that's how I felt about Gretsch until one of the guitar players in my band (back in the 60s-70s) wanted a new guitar. His choices were Gibson, Epi, Guild. and Gretsch. He ended up with the Gretsch and it was an amazing guitar in every respect. Ever since then I have really appreciated their guitars. (And, of course, there was Chet Atkins...a real guitar hero).
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X