Joe Duplantier's new DiMarzio sig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe Duplantier's new DiMarzio sig

Seems interesting. It's a tweaked 36th Anniversary PAF Bridge. I love the OG, especially under lots of gain. I also really like their guitar tone on the records.

The vid doesn't really do the best job at projecting what the pickup is about, though. Sounds like a bad speaker emulation, sorta like a Mesa Cab Clone, LOL

Re: Joe Duplantier's new DiMarzio sig

Interesting! Thanks for letting us know! I’ll have to take at peek at it.

Comment

I saw this and found it very interesting as it would be right up my alley. I’m just coming around to liking lower output pickups through high gain amps. From the website description it’s a little hotter than a 36th with more bass and a cut in the mids at 500-600hz. Perfect for amps like the 5150 or VH4.

I’d be dying to try this as on paper I think it would go beautifully with my style, and I play in D Standard tuning as they do but the one thing that stops me is that I’ve never played a Dimarzio that really DOES it for me. I’ve never tried any of their PAF type offerings but their high outputs always seem muffled to me, can get all the mids you want and even the bass however you like it but the high end always seems wrong, like there’s no cut that Duncans and others have.

Maybe this set would be the one to change my mind? Sounds in the video like it has lots of top end.

Comment

Originally posted by RyeDaddy View Post
        I saw this and found it very interesting as it would be right up my alley. I’m just coming around to liking lower output pickups through high gain amps. From the website description it’s a little hotter than a 36th with more bass and a cut in the mids at 500-600hz. Perfect for amps like the 5150 or VH4.

I’d be dying to try this as on paper I think it would go beautifully with my style, and I play in D Standard tuning as they do but the one thing that stops me is that I’ve never played a Dimarzio that really DOES it for me. I’ve never tried any of their PAF type offerings but their high outputs always seem muffled to me, can get all the mids you want and even the bass however you like it but the high end always seems wrong, like there’s no cut that Duncans and others have.

Maybe this set would be the one to change my mind? Sounds in the video like it has lots of top end.
        I went through the low output phase as well, but now I'm back with actives with my EVH.

This really wants to make me revisit PAF-types, though. The 36th Annis were probably some of my favorite. The neck model in particular had every Duncan PAF type beat for my taste. Then again, not sure if you'll like it, because the reason why I liked it myself was that it didn't have the chirpy/scratchy attack Duncans have.
        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-23-2020, 01:17 PM.

Comment

I really like Joe's tone on the most recent Gojira record. Modern crunch with vintage chime at the same time.

His sound was equally as impressive when I saw them live a few months back. Every chord felt like a 4-dimensional semi-truck smashing through a stack of bronze barrels filled with dynamite and glitter. I loved it!

His previous sig Charvel (the gray one in the background) used Charvel's own "MF" pickups. I tried to get some info on those from Jackson/Charvel, but they are very hush-hush about them. They were originally designed for Guthrie Govan, that's all I know.

The new bridge pickup looks really cool. Owning the VHPAF (Virtual HOT PAF) that preceded the 36th Anniversary, I've already got this sound and more, but excited to see what others think about this new model!

Comment

Honestly, if there's one thing I'd change about the PAF 36th Anni is reduce the mids a bit, which this pickup supposedly does. It would be cool if it were somewhere in between the smoothness of the 36th with some of the width and weight of a Duncan '59B.

Comment

I had no idea who that guy is, but based on specs and description, this could be a very nice pickup. I'm interested in trying it in my G&L Ascari's bridge position. I had planned on putting a ceramic powered PGn/Custom hybrid there, with the resulting A2 powered PGn/Custom in the neck position. But I am thinking about trying this Fortitude in the bridge position now.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Give it a shot! I'm sure it's a cool pickup. Everything PAF > VPAF > VHPAF > 36th has been pretty stellar. This just seems like the next evolution!

Comment

Anyone get one of these yet? Still waiting for the YT crowd to make the comp videos...

Comment

It was only announced a few weeks ago. The pickup has just barely made its way into dealers' hands. Only Banjomikez and Axepalace currently have them for sale.

I don't think word has really spread yet and players certainly haven't had much of a chance to check them out as a result. Give it another month or so and I bet the first fanboy vids will start popping up.

Better yet...buy one, try one, and let us know what you think! I'm guessing it's awesome

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                      It was only announced a few weeks ago. The pickup has just barely made its way into dealers' hands. Only Banjomikez and Axepalace currently have them for sale.

I don't think word has really spread yet and players certainly haven't had much of a chance to check them out as a result. Give it another month or so and I bet the first fanboy vids will start popping up.

Better yet...buy one, try one, and let us know what you think! I'm guessing it's awesome
                      You're probably right. And, I probably will (see my post in the BW thread).

Comment

"Every chord felt like a 4-dimensional semi-truck smashing through a stack of bronze barrels filled with dynamite and glitter."

This is the funniest description of a sound I have ever read. Nice! I think dynamite and glitter is a pretty pretty good sound to aim for...

Comment

Working...
                        X