DiMarzio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio question

Try as I might ,I cannot register on the DiMarzio forum so please forgive me for asking my question here.
    I just wanted input on a 3 humbucker strat build. I am thinking of
    ToneZone bridge
    Norton middle
    Air Norton neck
    Or
    ToneZone bridge
    Air Norton middle
    Air classic neck
    Their characteristics are as follows:
    AIR CLASSIC NECK - DP190
    Output 206
    Bass 5.5, Mid 4.5, Treble 5.5

AIR NORTON - DP193
    Output 270,
    Bass 6.5, Mid 7.0, Treble 5.0

NORTON - DP160
    Output 352

THE TONE ZONE - DP155
    Output 375
    Bass 8.5, Mid 8.5, Treble 5.0
    Thanks

Re: DiMarzio question

Are you asking which combination people would recommend?

What amp & pedals do you use? What style of music? And are you talking full-size humbuckers or are these the strat-sized versions?

Comment

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
      Try as I might ,I cannot register on the DiMarzio forum so please forgive me for asking my question here.
      I just wanted input on a 3 humbucker strat build. I am thinking of
      ToneZone bridge
      Norton middle
      Air Norton neck
      Or
      ToneZone bridge
      Air Norton middle
      Air classic neck
      Their characteristics are as follows:
      AIR CLASSIC NECK - DP190
      Output 206
      Bass 5.5, Mid 4.5, Treble 5.5

AIR NORTON - DP193
      Output 270,

NORTON - DP160
      Output 352

THE TONE ZONE - DP155
      Output 375
      Bass 8.5, Mid 8.5, Treble 5.0
      Thanks
      Which ones have you played before? I’ve found that the air norton and the tone zone are a very good combination, but it really depends on your rig. They can sound too smooth and rounded through somethings. The tone zone can be a cool pickup but it can also be just way too much of everything. I actually use guitars fitted with it to see how early of a threshold an amps distortion can get congested lol. Ibanez has several models with them stock at guitar center.

I don’t think you will miss a middle humbucker sound. I suggest you use a cruiser or fast track 1 to mix things up.

Comment

I generally prefer less drive in a neck pickup myself, so I'd probably opt for the lighter choice for neck position - the Air Classic.
        I also feel the full Norton would be mighty beefy for middle; I'd go with the AirNorton there.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I don't really get wanting 3 humbucker tones out of the same guitar. I would do hum/single/hum for more versatility. If I was doing 3 hums, I might go with something a bit singlecoil-ish like the Humbucker from Hell in the middle. 3 full-on humbuckers seems like overkill.

Comment

Yeah, we need more info. What gear are you using and what qualities are you looking for?

Comment

I am using 3 full sized humbuckers, I have a tele with the TZ and air Norton and I really like it . I was figuring using three pickups with varying outputs getting lower as they get further from the bridge. I play mostly classic rock , blues, country, hard rock, not really any metal, a typical gig goes from Hank to CCR to Neil Young and Crazy Horse to ZZ to Trower
              I could go with pups that are relatively close in out put or pups with a little more distance between outputs or a ToneZone bridge and 2 air Norton's for neck and middle.
              I will use a coil from each for the 2 and 4 positions so they are still humbucking.

Comment

Tone Zone - Fred - 36th PAF (bridge)

or

Norton - 36th PAF (bridge) - 36th PAF (neck)

Comment

Wait what's the question? There are just pickups in different locations(bridge, middle, neck) are you trying to get an opinion on which one sounds best in those specific locations?
                  Everyone has different ears, we don't know what your looking to accomplish, what we THINK we can hear from what we know is different from what someone would. If you have the pickups try them out.

For my opinion on the matter, I had a tone zone for a while, it was a great 80s rock tone, but too bassy for me.
                  Jackson Custom Tele
                  Epiphone G400 PRO
                  Marshall DSL40C w/V30
                  GLS Audio
                  Ernie Ball
                  Dunlop
                  SD-1

Play music to skate too 🤙

Comment

Originally posted by ratiug View Post
                    I am using 3 full sized humbuckers, I have a tele with the TZ and air Norton and I really like it . I was figuring using three pickups with varying outputs getting lower as they get further from the bridge. I play mostly classic rock , blues, country, hard rock, not really any metal, a typical gig goes from Hank to CCR to Neil Young and Crazy Horse to ZZ to Trower
                    I could go with pups that are relatively close in out put or pups with a little more distance between outputs or a ToneZone bridge and 2 air Norton's for neck and middle.
                    I will use a coil from each for the 2 and 4 positions so they are still humbucking.
                    Gotcha. In that case I would vote for the lower output combo, to get more of a difference in sound from position to position.

Comment

Working...
                    X