banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

have found the perfect guitar for me - tuners don't cut itv-what tuners to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have found the perfect guitar for me - tuners don't cut itv-what tuners to get?

G&L ASAT Deluxe; P-Rail neck with push pull tone/vol for the settings I need; '59 Bridge; It sings like a bird and wails like a banshee...but the turners are not consistent/dead turns and it doesn't hold like USA Strat or Gibbie LP....want some excellent tuners. What do you guys recommend?

Re: have found the perfect guitar for me - tuners don't cut itv-what tuners to get?

Sperzell and Schaeller are my favorites for 6 aside Fender style headstocks.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Re: have found the perfect guitar for me - tuners don't cut itv-what tuners to get?

Planet waves auto trim
      They will cut it

Pun intended

Grovers
      The Fender branded Ping I think

I have some inexpensive ones from China, that claim to be Korean
      The brand name is KD
      They are identical to the Allparts branded locking tuners

Oh yeah forgot to ask
      You wanted locking tuners right?
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I am a fan of any kind of locking tuner. If adding weight to a headstock is a concern for balance, be sure to look at the weight of the new tuners.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Factory tuners for an ASAT Deluxe would be either Sperzel or Schaller, both are excellent tuners.

If you have a new guitar, I would submit a warranty claim.

If you have an older guitar, they may need to be inspected, and perhaps cleaned and re-lubed by the factory or other professional. The Sperzel people are really nice to work with, IME.

If you decide to replace them, it will be simplest to replace with the same brand, Sperzel with Sperzel, etc. The pins will be the same, for both standard and lockers, so you won't need to redrill.

There are specific techniques for stringing split-post tuners, as there are for locking tuners. Be sure your wraps are correct.

Often tuning issues are mis-dianosed as the tuner, when in reality, it can be the nut causing the problems. Make sure the slots are smooth and not binding. I use Big Bend's Nut Sauce.

Good luck.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thank you for the very thorough response...will get the tuners serviced and nut checked out. Would be primo solution if it wan’t the tuners but instead just needs a tune up!!!

Comment

Working...
            X