Tell me about the Boss OD-3 and the Fulltone OCD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about the Boss OD-3 and the Fulltone OCD

Just got offered these in a trade. I'm a HUGE fan of the Tube Screamer's blend of the clean and distorted signal, but I'm looking for something that's a bit flatter EQ that doesn't have the huge mid-hump. Something a bit more transparent, but still with that cool half-distorted half-clean signal. Do either of these do this?

Thanks.

Re: Tell me about the Boss OD-3 and the Fulltone OCD

OCD is more transparent but it’s a hard clipped pedal, not soft clipped like the Tube Screamer. More along the lines of a Dist+, DS-1, etc. but with a better tone control and wider range of distortion tones.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Interesting. Thanks. So in others words, "no"? How does it do at lower gain settings as a boost? Or is it more of a "turn a clean amp into a Plexi/AC30" kinda deal? Any use for it in a metal context?
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-23-2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Hmmmm... I have to say that the OCD is the one pedal that I think every guitarist has to own/try for a while - so much tone to be found, great response to pick attack and volume roll-off. It just does the business. As it’s in a trade, I’d grab it, live with it a while and then, if it doesn’t cut it for you, you’ll always be able to move it on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

What are you planning to do with it? What amp are you plugging in to?
          --------------------------------------------------------
          1973 Aria 551
          1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
          1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
          1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
          1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
          2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I've used both and still use the OD-3. As mentioned, the OCD is a hard clipper, like a distortion pedal. That's really what it is and is designed to emulate an old Plexi pre-amp type drive. It does that very well. I liked it better with a clean-ish set amp or really clean setup. AC/DC tones easily achieved there. Using it to push an already overdriven amp made it sag out too much. The OD-3 works in both scenarios very well and I actually prefer it. It is a different type of design than your typical overdrive. My favorite way to utilize it is with the gain either off or at 3 o'clock, tone to taste and the level maxed out.

Comment

Like them both, but use them for different reasons...

Comment

Thank you dudes for the comments. Keep 'em comming.

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                What are you planning to do with it? What amp are you plugging in to?
                Boosting an EVH 5150III. The red channel doesn't need a boost for tightness or for gain, that's for sure, but the blue channel is a bit dry and not gainy enough. I like the overall voicing, though. And a straight-up classic Tube Screamer just cuts too much bottom-end and makes it sound thin and scratchy.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-24-2020, 04:28 PM.

Comment

The TS variant with a flatter EQ is absolutely the Forza. It was designed from the ground up to be just that.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    Thank you dudes for the comments. Keep 'em comming.

Boosting an EVH 5150III. The red channel doesn't need a boost for tightness or for gain, that's for sure, but the blue channel is a bit dry and not gainy enough. I like the overall voicing, though. And a straight-up classic Tube Screamer just cuts too much bottom-end and makes it sound thin and scratchy.
                    I used an OCD clone (EHX glove) with my EVH5153 and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Did work better with blue channel than with red, but never sounded that great with OD pedals up front. Best result I got out of it was a clean boost with a tad of grit in the FX loop.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Technically the OD3 has hard and soft clipping, it uses discrete FETs for the gain and just uses an opamp to buffer the output. It's a great pedal IMHO. Haven't tried an OCD, but if I was still using amps I probably would have one too.

Comment

Thanks for the insight, dudes.

So is the EQ on both of these pedals more or less flat or is it leaning towards something?

Comment

OCD has peak switch, which shapes the EQ.

Low setting sounds flatter, full range to my ears. High setting shifts things up in the mids (which also affects the gain structure) - more peaky, though nowhere near as mid-biased as a Tube Screamer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X