Need help verifying 1964 Fender Mustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help verifying 1964 Fender Mustang

Hey guys, I just picked up my 1964 Mustang from GC and am getting ready to open her up to check everything out to see if it's legit. I have three days to return it if anything is wrong. The main thing that I am worried about is the neck plate. The serial number is 628XX but does not have the "L" before the number like other Pre-CBS Mustangs all seem to have. The number seems offset a bit like there is space for the L, but it is not there. Do any of you guys know if this is an original 64/65 neckplate? I know the serials until 63 had no "L", but I have a hard time believing that the plate would be that much older than the guitar, especially considering I've never seen another 64/65 without the "L." I'll try to upload a few pics when I get a chance. Thanks!

Re: Need help verifying 1964 Fender Mustang

The only way I know of to date a Fender is to remove the neck to see the date stamps on the neck and body.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Re: Need help verifying 1964 Fender Mustang

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
      The only way I know of to date a Fender is to remove the neck to see the date stamps on the neck and body.

Bill
      Turns out it is a 1965 and not a 64. Everything on the guitar checks out including the neck date and electronics, but I'm not sure about the neck plate. I'm 100% sure it's an original 65 Mustang, but I'm not so sure that the neckplate is original.

Comment

Working...
      X