Underwound JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underwound JB

Is there a pickup that captures the tones of the JB but is not as hot? The JB is a bit too hot for me
    "Posterity, you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in heaven that ever I took half the pains to preserve it." John Adams

Re: Underwound JB

Well I've not personally tried it but just the other day somebody recommended the perpetual burn as a less hot pickup with JB character, and the spec sheet seems to mostly agree so maybe that would be a good starting point to look into.

By the way, did you try lowering it quite a bit ? Just asking cause I also find the JB a tad hot, but I found that lowering it quite a bit took off some of that sizzle and turned it into harmonics. YMMV but it could do the trick

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

A second vote for the Perpetual Burn. It's been my fav pickup since I installed it over a year ago. Sweet pup.

Comment

I've always felt the Perpetual Burn is like a more refined version of the JB. Less mid spike, tighter bass, and much better cleanup. That said, its tone and character are somewhat different from the JB. For my tastes that's an improvement, but if you're looking to stick close to the classic JB tone, I'm afraid the PB might not suit you.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thrash Factor

Suhr SSH

RTM

Comment

The RTM seems like a slightly overwound JB with an A2 magnet, probably sounds great, I love the JB with A2 mags.

Comment

Perhaps the bridge Eclair?

The Eclairs evolved from the JB and Jazz combo that Seymour likes so much but they are not the JB/Jazz. The neck is Alnico IV, the bridge is Alnico II and they're both single conductor." The bridge is wound for more cut and clarity and the neck is smooth and articulate. MJ also underwinds the neck and overwinds the bridge - the resulting tone is full and transparent, with a best of both world's in-between position.

D.C. Resistance: 15k (bridge), 7.1k (neck)
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                The RTM seems like a slightly overwound JB with an A2 magnet, probably sounds great, I love the JB with A2 mags.
                The RTM uses a different wire gauge entirely. Its relative output and perceived "hotness" is a bit lower than the regular JB, but it manages to retain a LOT of the JB in its sound and response. That's exactly what it was designed to do. Great pickup for what the OP is asking, but Custom Shop price (or ~$100 used when they come up for sale secondhand)

Thrash Factor is essentially an underwound JB. It's a little tighter and brighter overall.

The Suhr SSH+ is one of the closest non-Duncan "JB"-alikes around. The regular SSH (no "+") is a slightly underwound version of that. That said, even the "+" version is a little smoother and more open than the JB, so it's also a decent option.

Comment

I've wanted to get an underwound JB from the custom shop. Maybe I should for posterity's sake and stick a double thick A2 in it.
                  The things that you wanted
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I own a Suhr SSH and like it very much. Never thought to compare it to the JB but I can see some similarity now that it's been pointed out.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                    X