Heavy guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heavy guitar.

Can't seem to access the catalogs anymore, but I'm pretty dang sure they're Maple. At least Maple-backed, not sure about the carved top.

Here are some other examples:

This Electra Super Magnum was made in Japan in the late 1970's. This was one of their fanciest models with the tree of life inlay, set neck, and carving in the top. This example shows normal play wear, but there is no structural damage. The pickups have been changed and the pickguard is missin...

This is an awesome vintage all original Electra Tree of Life guitar. I have had it for 15 years and it sits in the closet. Everything appears to be original and it all works!! The volume pot on the neck pickup is a little noisy when you turn it, but it just needs some TLC or replaced. The bindin...

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Last edited by Masta' C; 01-24-2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
      More likely Ash and that is harder and heavier than maple.
      That is not an accurate statement. There are different types of Maple, just like there are different types of Ash. Heck, even Mahogany has "light" and "heavy" varieties

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
        More likely Ash and that is harder and heavier than maple. Seen a bunch of those and that one is pretty typical as they are all heavy as a brick!! That bridge pickup is stock also. Some of those were buit by Matsamoso ( sp?) in Japan and that one looks the part. Would be mid to late 1970's.
        Matsumoto is the city, and Matsumoku was the factory. I have a Matsumoku-built '79 Greco LP Custom and a couple of other MIJ LPs built by FujiGen, which is also in Matsumoto City.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia updatet 2017-10-09. Please go to their site and donate, so they can keep up their good work. Matsumoku Industrial was a Japanese manufacturing company once exi…
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Samick Lover View Post
          Yes please buy it. I want one too.
          It's not for sale. I think he said his wife added the highlights to the carving.

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
            That is not an accurate statement. There are different types of Maple, just like there are different types of Ash. Heck, even Mahogany has "light" and "heavy" varieties
            Correct with the different varieties but the type of Ash used for ball bats is harder denser and heavier than any maple I have seen and is what I suspect that body is.Have seen a number of those guitars over the years and have owned MANY of the old all Rock Maple Carvins it's not the same wood as the grain is different. Those old Electras also are heavier.
            Last edited by Ascension; 01-25-2020, 09:06 AM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Matsumoto is the city, and Matsumoku was the factory. I have a Matsumoku-built '79 Greco LP Custom and a couple of other MIJ LPs built by FujiGen, which is also in Matsumoto City.

http://www.vantage-guitars.com/m-history/
              Had a few old Arias built by Matsumoku and have handled a bunch of those guitars and those have the same look and feel to them. One of the 2 between Matsumoku or FujiGen was the real builder on those though.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Know what’s weird?

I hate my dad’s ‘73 Strat, mostly because it probably weighs close to 12 lbs. However, after playing my Warwick bass (likely around 12 or 13 lbs), my two much lighter basses feel like toys.
                Yep those 70's hard Ash Fenders were absolute boat anchors!!
                Guitars

Comment

No tone caps?
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

They're there. Up against the body on the far right. One is obscured by the tip of the output jack sticking through.

I had to replace the "box" switch with a nice Switchcraft.

Comment

Oh, I see. Sorry.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X