Heavy guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy guitar.

I'm talking pounds . . . not technique. Customers Electra Custom. I've never seen or heard of these before. This thing weighs friggin' 12 lbs! I've never held a guitar even close to being this heavy before. No idea what this wood is. It appears to be very light. (Colored.) The "yellow" is the stain/aging. Anyone ever seen one of these before. Strange bridge pup to boot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Electra-01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	5853390

Name:	Electra-02.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	5853391

Name:	Electra-03.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	5853392

Name:	Electra-04.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	5853393

Re: Heavy guitar.

I believe those were solid Maple

Comment

That would explain it.

P.S. About half of those pickup boxes came from you.

Comment

Those are some odd looking pickup poles.. My Burny weighs prolly close to 12 lbs. Wish I had a scale to tell. But its a beast
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

My LP Traditional Pro comes in at 9 lbs. And it's weight-relieved. I'm still on the fence on whether I'm gonna buy it from my buddy who's let me "borrow" it for so long. It's a great guitar.

Comment

Electra (the brand) is now owned by my local super-luthier. I was at his place 2 weeks ago, and he has tons of old literature, catalogs, etc from Electra. If anyone in the world knows about this guitar, Ben would.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's a cool starter guitar when it comes to death by weight ... What makes that one so heavy?

Try playing one of these for a set..... it's straight up murder!

Don't believe the EGC website BTW -they claim 9-10 pounds -but that must be the not all solid aluminum models because they are WAY heavier than an LP

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	5818059
              Last edited by NegativeEase; 01-24-2020, 11:43 AM.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                That looks a lot like Sen, a japanese Ash variant. I had an Ibanez Bob Weir Model which was a boat anchor too.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Yes please buy it. I want one too.

Comment

Know what’s weird?

I hate my dad’s ‘73 Strat, mostly because it probably weighs close to 12 lbs. However, after playing my Warwick bass (likely around 12 or 13 lbs), my two much lighter basses feel like toys.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Electra's take on the old Guild Nature Boy

my '77 Ibanez LPC is a solis 12lb guitar
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                        That looks a lot like Sen, a japanese Ash variant. I had an Ibanez Bob Weir Model which was a boat anchor too.
                        I recall these being Maple, but I guess Sen is a possibility. Usually the grain pops a bit more in Sen (looks very close to the Ash we all know).

Comment

That thing is bone stock. I remember those pickups from the 70's.
                          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                            More likely Ash and that is harder and heavier than maple. Seen a bunch of those and that one is pretty typical as they are all heavy as a brick!! That bridge pickup is stock also. Some of those were buit by Matsamoso ( sp?) in Japan and that one looks the part. Would be mid to late 1970's.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                              More likely Ash and that is harder and heavier than maple. Seen a bunch of those and that one is pretty typical as they are all heavy as a brick!! That bridge pickup is stock also. Some of those were buit by Matsamoso ( sp?) in Japan and that one looks the part. Would be mid to late 1970's.
                              I agree - I have several solid Maple guitars and while pretty heavy, they don't approach 12 pounds, thinking it's something heavier
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X